Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W7 RC1 recent network startup problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BDAKiwi

BDAKiwi

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:06 AM

Hi all, I have a problem that I have been trying hard for a couple of weeks to find a solution to, including a good dig around BC. I can't decide if it's hardware of software, but I'm thinking software.

A wee bit of history first - A year and a half ago I clean-installed Vista 32 on this machine. With the release of W7 RC1 (and with so much positive press over the previous months and no problems with dual-booting the beta on two machines) I installed RC1 over Vista. It's been fine for months (much faster than Vista, everything works better), but a couple of weeks ago I suddenly started having problems with network startup after wake or reboot.

Before this issue began, the LAN/internet connection was connected by the time I had the desktop fully loaded. What happens now is the network icon on the taskbar starts searching, then fails with a red cross through the icon. Task Manager reports 'No active network adaptor found', but device manager shows it there with no problems, 'this device is working properly'. After about 3 minutes the system tries again, finds the LAN, then 30 secs later finds the internet, and from there on there is no problem. Event viewer is showing a variety of errors, but once again I haven't been able to pin down what is causing these. For example I get a hardware abtraction layer error 'The platform firmware has corrupted memory across the previous system power transition. Please check for updated firmware for your system.'

Possibly related is a boot level crash apparently caused by mild overclocking (10%) of my nVidia 8800GTS while playing COD:MW2. The card has been overclocked for months but I set it back to default after that crash. The startup problem was occurring before the crash (and before I got COD) and I have not had any issues since then.
I used Intel's auto scan to check for and find an updated driver for the network adaptor, it has updated OK but hasn't made any difference at all.

This is W7 RC1, if you don't want to spend time on it that's OK, but I'm not intending to fresh-install for a few months (with a proper copy of W7/64) so it'd be great to get this sorted out.

Thank you!

W7-RC1
Intel DP35DP mb with E6750 dual 2.66 CPU
nVidia 8800GTS TDH 320Mb RAM
3Gb RAM
2 x 500Gb HDD SATA RAID 0 (YES I have good backups) :huh:
D-Link DI704UP hub/router

Edited by BDAKiwi, 14 December 2009 - 02:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pdtnelson

pdtnelson

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:46 PM

I'm actually having a very similar problem. I also installed Windows 7 RC 1 over a 32 bit vista installation and had no problems for months but now my wireless is really screwy. Whenever I used to start up, either a fresh boot or waking from hibernation, I would be connected to my wireless within seconds, usually before I even had a chance to do anything else. Now every time I wake my computer up, I connect with limited access. Ipconfig /release + /renew doesn't do anything either, it simply tells me that operations cannot be preformed of media that is disconnected (Which all of my connections are listed as). The only way to get a connection is to disconnect from the network and then reconnect, whereupon a receive a message telling me the connection failed (limited access) and the computer continues to "think" (little blue circle over wireless status in taskbar) for a bit and then settles on the yellow triangle with a ! in it. At this point, despite the fact that it still reports limited access, I do have a full internet connection, however the error message persists for several minutes after a successful connection has been established.

The only troubleshooting I've done so far is the aforementioned ipconfig /release + /renew along with resetting the winsock catalog (netsh winsock reset) but I still have the problem. Thanks in advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users