Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mac OSX antimalware anti rootkit tools?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:45 PM

Does anyone know what would do this on a macbook with 10.5.x? Is it a hacked gmail and twitter or a rootkit.

What a the current reliable malware scanners? The sites I find with google all look like scams.

I mainly fix PC's but I have a hackintosh and all my friends bring me both macs and pc's to fix.

This one is in another state and I hope to find a simple tool of two to point them at.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 josiahwiebe

josiahwiebe

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:19 PM

Sounds more like a compromised account. Try changing the passwords on both of those accounts and see what happens.

#3 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:06 PM

account password change was immediate. The MO just sounds so much like koobface and other social networking windows rootkits/malware that I was wondering if someone knew of one ported to the mac for osx.

There were rootkits aimed at BSD long before Apple made it the platform to build osx on.

I had her run Macscan 2.7 trial but have not heard back if it found anything.

#4 josiahwiebe

josiahwiebe

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:44 AM

I have not heard of any ported koobface virus, and I only know of a few Mac malware / trojans, such as the DNS changer. These accounts could have been compromised on another machine?

She could run ClamXav and iAntiVirus

#5 HigherLevelComputing

HigherLevelComputing

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:47 AM

I have found iAntiVirus to be very helpful in MacOS X troubleshooting. I am currently running this program with Snow Leopard (10.6.2) on a MacBook Pro, and I have fixed other Macs by scanning them from my machine while they are in "target disk mode" connected via Firewire.

Good luck, hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users