Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

compaq sr5170

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BlackPStone

BlackPStone

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:18 PM

so is it possible that compaq has sold me a computer with a 64 bit cpu and a 32 bit layout

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:50 PM

i just checked your specs. and it lists SR5170CF on compaq's site which uses intel processors. what makes you think it is a 64bit cpu ? which cpu do you have?

#3 BlackPStone

BlackPStone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:02 PM

it is a amd dual core it even says in my tools and performance it is 64 bit capable it says amd 64 right on my computer. amd athlon is 4450 se is the full name. idk why they say they only use intel i am staring at my compaq with amd athlon 64

Edited by BlackPStone, 13 December 2009 - 11:04 PM.

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:06 PM

and what do you mean by 32 bit layout? i am reading and trying to learn as we go through this.

#5 BlackPStone

BlackPStone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:10 PM

well it has 64 bit cpu and everything about it is 32 bit it came with 32 bit vista when i look at properties it says 32 bit system i have 64 bit windows 7 and i tried to install it a few times and it would not do i need to install if from boot up because when i installed my 32 bit windows 7 i did it from my desktop and that is what i attempted to do with my 64 bit windows 7 and it would not work. why would they sell this computer this way with a 64 bit cpu and 32 bit os installed? is it not built to run 64 bit dont you need a certain amount of ram to run it ............i have 3.0 gb

#6 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:25 PM

yes i would say you have to install the 64bit OS from boot. hope you have backed up all your data before you try installing
also 2 gig of ram is supposed to be enough

also you should check to see if 64 bit drivers are available for your hardware. from what i see it could be an issue.
when you boot the disk there may be an option to check compatibility

Edited by caperdog, 13 December 2009 - 11:28 PM.

#7 BlackPStone

BlackPStone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:39 PM

are u saying that some of my components that came from the factory with this cpu and computer may not be able to run 64 bit if that is the case that is bogus. if my motherboard or network card or any thing tht came with this computer does not have 64 bit drivers available i will be upset. now if you are say i should check things i added like external hdd, game controller, or printers that is understandable but if any of these factory installed things dont have the proper drivers i will be mad i am working on a cisco assignment right now so i wont be able to test this till later

#8 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:49 PM

probably only an issue for older hardware you may be using like printers, scanners, etc.
got to crash. let me know how it turns out.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:49 PM

Many processors are 64-bit, but that has nothing to do with the O/S.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sou...+CPU&aqi=g5

Windows XP users...generally are running 32-bit XP, unless they specifically bought the 64-bit version. That is not a problem.

Windows 7 comes in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

Generally, users who run 64-bit do so because they can run increased amounts of RAM with a 64-bit O/S.

Google has a ton of info on this sort of thing.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users