Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update - "pop up" bug

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 09:07 PM

Hi dudes,

I'm writing from a new computer again. I've bought an LG M2362D again, will test it out and then return, if something wrong will happed again (I have 2 weeks on that). It's from Poland again (we have mostly from Poland here), but not September's, but October's built...

So, I've been updating my OS at the past, from this new PC. And recently, I've found one specific bug - everything is updated, but a pop up updating sound I hear everytime. :flowers: Maybe, it's some kind of a glitch, don't know. So if someone experienced such thing before me - please, tell me the solution / how to fix that.

If I should run a registry cleaner - tell me as well... though, these forums doesn't allow of suggestion of a good registry cleaner (my contribution would be Ashampoo's WinOptimizer 6 built-in registry cleaner... it's cleaning very softly). Anyway - any solutions, that will work are welcomed.

Thanks for your support, it's a very minor bug, but pretty annoying, :thumbsup:
rhino1366

P.S. BC Advisors - take a look please...

Edit: Here's a link - Ashampoo WinOptimizer 6

Edited by rhino1366, 13 December 2009 - 09:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:02 AM

Is the pop up sound only occuring for updates or do you hear it when you navigate to web pages?

#3 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:11 AM

Thx for the reply, Queen-Evie...

No... as from what I'm obvserving - the pop-up sound is related only to Windows Update function. I know what you've ment, the "bump" sound where there's something like ActiveX on the page, or a download, etc.. ... but it's not it.

I've been using Windows Update from the Microsoft site, while Windows' auto-check for updates was turned on to inform only. So it might be some kind of a glitch, that could be removed by some registry cleaners, like mentioned Ashampoo's... danno.

Anyway, I'm still not sure what to perform / run on my computer to fix this pretty annoying issue / problem. If someone has an idea, tell me plz.

Well, I think it's a simple Windows' glitch or something like that... that should, I mean should be removed... because the PC is very-very new and fresh, and that sound is makes up everytime... dohh... Also, for a note - I sometimes even can see a yellow shield telling me about updates, but it disappears instantly, because there is updates ready and installed, and again, because it's just a bug.

P.S. The PC is so fresh, that even NONE of the registry cleaners were acting at this date and time...
P.P.S. Waiting on your reply, Queen-Evie :thumbsup:

Edited by rhino1366, 14 December 2009 - 09:13 AM.

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,302 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:36 AM

Why not look in Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices and the Sounds tab and play each Program event that has a sound associated with it and identify the event that goes with the sound.

Post back with the Program event and get more ideas.

If you are seeing they yellow shield and don't know why you should figure that out. You should not see the shield if there is not something that needs attention. Hover the mouse over the shield to reveal the message.

Make sure the shield is not hiding by clicking the < symbol in the Notification area (to the left of the system time).

When your system is really up to date (as far as Microsoft is concerned) there should be no shield.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:57 AM

Going into Control Panel/Sounds would have been my next suggestion.
In addition to going through every sound as joseibarra suggested, you could as an alternative set the sound scheme to
No Sounds. This is an option only if you do want all the sounds disabled.

#6 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:14 AM

joseibarra:

Thanks for the suggestion to go into sounds setts., but I think turning off the sound (if I understood you right) - isn't the solution... :trumpet:

Also, I'm not using the << thingy (don't like, like to be informed about all). So, the yellow shield isn't hiding somewhere... it's just poping-up for a 1/10 or 2/10 of a second with a pop-up sound and then instantly disappearing! :flowers:

Queen-Evie:

Disabling the sound in total manner - I think, isn't right / not a solution of a problem also. But, thanks for your activity...

I'll be trying my own method, if it's a glitch, as I've understood it. Will tell you if it will help somehow...

Thanks for your support guys, :thumbsup:
rhino1366

P.S. Still, I don't understand, why does the registry cleaner involveness is ignored here... BleepingComputer Forums should consider a registry cleaners as a tool, that can help bring the results of a registry scan for analizis (no need in bad registry cleaners, and no need in removing all what it's found). Anyway, it might be out of such software sights... danno.
P.P.S. I've been making my own research on finding and obtaining a really fine registry cleaner(s)... and I found such (at this date: Ashampoo WinOptimizer 6 built-in one; Auslogics Registry Cleaner (in addition to Auslogics HDD defragmenter); TuneUp 2010 int. one as well (should be fine, but should be constantly analized, as Auslogics' one)... but really not sure about Registry Mechanic 9 int. one, becuase they say, that it should find on 500% more errors in the registry...
...And, from what I've seen (and experienced) - the less errors it finds = the better it is. :inlove:

Edit: For people, that like to believe what software is actually "saying" - I can recommend registry cleaners, with safety indicators that I know. It should be the following: Wise Registry Cleaner, with green (safe) and other specific registry key indicator; TweakNow Registry Cleaner (same here); and, Auslogics' one has a pretty same scheme of indicating with a little difference. But, be warned (!) - stay away (as I do) from COMODO System Cleaner (aka CSC)... it crashed my old computer badly! Have a feeling, that forgotten something to say, but, anyway... I hope that's enough info. for PC enthusiasts. :cool:

Edited by rhino1366, 14 December 2009 - 12:19 PM.

#7 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:36 AM

Ok...

So I've been trying to change the parameters, on how Windows Update is actually obtaining these updates... I've setted it up to download at this time, but not to install the updates automatically...

...I guess, now I should wait for Microsoft updates to become revealed and for my Update Manager to gather them and then to inform me. Maybe then this glitch will pass off. :?

We'll see. Thx,
rhino1366

P.S. If I'm going not the right way - please, let me know / or if someone figured out the next solution - as well. :thumbsup:

#8 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,302 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:08 PM

No - I did not suggest turning off any sounds and you are correct, turning off sounds is not a solution.

Did you try what was suggested?

You have to know the problem to figure out the solution and so far, I don't fully understand this problem.

Sometimes if Automatic Updates are acting curiously, it is informative to run Internet Explorer and visit the Microsoft Update page and see what it thinks about your system update situation and if it has anything useful to offer. There is also a log file on your system that you can see what the Automatic Updates thinks is happening.

Your recommended registry cleaner reports zero issues with my registry.

Edited by joseibarra, 14 December 2009 - 12:22 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:13 PM

I also realize that turning off all sounds is not the ideal solution. I mentioned it as a last ditch option. I do hope you find a solution to your issue.

#10 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:39 PM

I'm really not sure, but I think the pop-up sound and useless icon informings are gone... :trumpet:

Maybe, it's because I turned it to download the updates automatically... yeah, might be... because I now remember, that Windows' built-in updater downloaded something, but haven't installed properly (or I rebooted after that... don't really remember). So, my guesses are, that now "stupid" Windows' updater understood, that there's actually no need in these downloaded updates, which it downloaded earlier, and now it doesn't bothers me anymore. :inlove:

Thanks for the support guys, and your involveness, Queen-Evie. :thumbsup:

P.S. Queen-Evie, joseibarra, if you want, I can give you guys the researched code, on how to download YouTube's absolutely any video, as a gift... Just tell me, and I'll PM you both.
P.P.S. "...Your recommended registry cleaner reports zero issues with my registry..." - lol, funny... :flowers:

Edited by rhino1366, 14 December 2009 - 12:47 PM.

#11 skoop

skoop

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:20 PM

I'm really not sure, but I think the pop-up sound and useless icon informings are gone... :trumpet:

Maybe, it's because I turned it to download the updates automatically... yeah, might be... because I now remember, that Windows' built-in updater downloaded something, but haven't installed properly (or I rebooted after that... don't really remember). So, my guesses are, that now "stupid" Windows' updater understood, that there's actually no need in these downloaded updates, which it downloaded earlier, and now it doesn't bothers me anymore. :inlove:

Thanks for the support guys, and your involveness, Queen-Evie. :thumbsup:

P.S. Queen-Evie, joseibarra, if you want, I can give you guys the researched code, on how to download YouTube's absolutely any video, as a gift... Just tell me, and I'll PM you both.
P.P.S. "...Your recommended registry cleaner reports zero issues with my registry..." - lol, funny... :flowers:

#12 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:23 PM

skoop:

Why would you just quote it, without saying anything on your own?

#13 skoop

skoop

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:28 PM

sorry for that clicked the quote to soon

If this is a Microsoft popup you can go into the Security Centre> Control Panel---Security Centre--
under resources > change the way security centre notifys me. Uncheck what popup you don't want to be notifyied by.

skoop

#14 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:58 PM

Thx skoop, I'll try... Too bad, that no-one knows how to fix that...

rhino

#15 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:03 AM

...any new ideas? ... :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users