Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lozu

lozu

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 08:04 PM

I have a router that connect to my broadband between 2 computers. Both computer can connect to Internet. Now only the main computer seems to pick up the signal and connected to the computer, the 2nd one says "Webpage or the URL not found'.
---
Can you please help!

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Malware Boss

Malware Boss

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 08:13 PM

Hey there, lozu!

Fortunately, this problem can be fixed. First of all, I'd like to ask you to boot in Safe Mode with Networking. Often, people will find that there's an interference with one's personal firewall or antivirus that will stop the necessary file 'svnchost.exe' from working correctly. When booting in Safe Mode, there shouldn't be any interference. I'd also like to ask you to disable your firewall if you have one. Below, I've attached a post that I wrote for a similar question for a different forum. I hope this has helped. Reply letting me know how you went.

Additional Information

I, too, have had a similar problem to yours and I've managed to fix mine through a combination of methods. I read your whole post, so if I sound like I'm repeating what you've said, there's probably a good reason for it. I did some research myself when I was experiencing these networking troubles and found that a number of different things helped in some way. Please take the time to read over what I've written and I hope that I can help you get to the bottom of this mystery. I'll go over a few things that you can try that may help you.

Booting In Safe Mode

I don't know if you've tried this or not, but I'd strongly recommend booting in Safe Mode with Networking. Originally, I was able to have the Internet working for a limited time whilst in Safe Mode, so I'd suggest you give this a go. When booting in safe mode, there shouldn't be any interaction with your antivirus software which can often be what's causing the problem. Often your personal firewall will block 'svnchost.exe' (a necessary Windows file) for some unknown reason. I read that your firewall is turned off and that your antivirus is disabled, which is a good start.

If you decide to boot in safe mode, double check that your firewall and antivirus are disabled. If this doesn't work, I'd suggest going into MSCONFIG (Start, Run, 'msconfig') and navigating to the 'Services' tab. Make sure that your antivirus is turned off through here. Then scroll down and disable the IPSEC modules (search for it, it can be subtle). Try rebooting with these settings and see how you go.

Modem/Router Troubles

In my household, we have around seven computers. I'm the only one running Windows 7 and it was me who had trouble connecting to the router. For a time, I was the only person who had no Internet because I wasn't able to access the router from my laptop (which was puzzling at first). Everyone else was connected and on the Internet.

If my Internet's playing up, I find that rebooting the modem will restore a connection from my computer to the router. It worked perfectly after I did that, so I'd recommend you give your modem some scrutiny.

Other Notes

• When I was experiencing similar problems to you, my computer was able to see the network, yet wasn't able to connect to it. The signal strength was good, but it wouldn't connect.
  • There was also a time where there were some IP Conflicts, so I'd suggest checking that your IP lease hasn't expired and that everything of that sort is working well.
I can't think of anything else that would be causing you trouble. So give this a go and reply letting me know how it went. I hope that I've been able to help in some way. Good luck.

#3 lozu

lozu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:33 PM

Sigh! Not working...
Can the websites possibly damage the router by background task or scripting???
---
Thanks,

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:53 PM

I am a little confused with your description of your setup. You have a router with 2 PCs connected to it? how are they connected? What version of windows is running on both? When did this start?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 lozu

lozu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 01:02 AM

I connected my router about half year ago. Because looks like if the main PC is died down for example, I could use the 2nd PC to browse.
At Fri DEC 11 this have actually started.
INFO:
My main PC is running Linux Ubuntu in a desktop due to problems with WinXP, my second computer is a laptop that runs WinXP.
---
I have connected the broadband to the main PC, then I have router witch linked up with the broadband I think. And also a cable that connected to the second PC.
---
Once I was browsing website as well as the second user (normally was OK). Then, then internet from both PC slows down. Websites like Hotmail only showws background for 5-8 minute then shows text and images. Normaly download takes about 10minute, but on that day it showed me 2hr38min.
---
The next day, the internet can not find URL and PAGES.
---
I fixed it, only when the cable that connect to the second PC is off.
---
How that could be happened.
Thanks,

Edited by lozu, 14 December 2009 - 01:04 AM.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:11 AM

Sorry that sorta confused me a little more.

Do you have a broadband modem connected to a router and then 2 PCs connected to the router?

Who is your ISP?

What is the make and model of your modem?

What is the make and model of your router?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users