Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The dog ate my......

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mrl636

mrl636

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 06:39 PM

Hi,
I have a Compaq Presario 2500 Laptop that won't boot up. My dog chewed on the power cord on the low voltage side of the transformer. After I spliced it together, I can plug it in and get the charging light to work. I hear the hard drive start for a second or so when I try to boot up and then nothing. Should I replace the battery, or the Laptop or try something else?

Mike :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 09:32 PM

you can test the output from the transformer with a voltmeter. you may get the correct voltage from the back of the transformer or possibly the manual for your laptop (download from compaq). desktops use 12, 5, and 3.3 volts, i am guessing laptops are the same but check to make sure.
i would test that before buying a battery.

#3 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:22 PM

My dog chewed on the power cord on the low voltage side of the transformer.

The DC output of the power supply will be printed on the unit. Test it with a digital voltmeter.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:30 AM

Was the laptop running or in use when fido had the snack?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 mrl636

mrl636
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:56 AM

I checked the power supply and it seems to be ok. Yes, the laptop was running. I let the battery charge for a couple of hours, thinking that it needs to have some power in it to run. I hear the hard drive start and stop (less than a second)

#6 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:18 AM

The battery does not need to be charged in order for you to use the laptop if all else is working properly.

#7 mrl636

mrl636
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 01:32 PM

That tells me that I might have fried something inside. Would there be a internal fuse on the motherboard that would have to be replaced. Could I have shorted out the hard drive since it doesn't seem to be working. Do you think if I put in a bootable disk in the CD slot, it might work. If it doesn't, I don't know IF it was supposed to. I know. Questions...questions...questions. Mike :thumbsup:

#8 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:42 PM

Yes, try a bootable CD or USB thumb drive. Either should work even if the hard drive has failed. Be sure to change the boot device order in Setup.

#9 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:14 PM

i'm confused, when you boot do you get a POST screen or is it black and you can only hear the hard drive for a second. if the machine will not POST it will not boot from anything.

#10 mrl636

mrl636
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:26 PM

That's what I was afraid of. I only hear the hard drive for a second. The screen is black. At least it happened when there are a lot of sales on. I didn't want to try and get to the motherboard if I couldn't do anything with it. I can't be too mad at the dog. Thanks for all your help. Have a happy and safe holiday

#11 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:22 PM

thanks mike and the same to you and you family

there is still the possibility you are not getting the correct voltage to start the machine. if you could find someone with the same power supply and battery from another compaq you would know for sure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users