Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer Context Menu

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wishmd

wishmd

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 06:27 PM

Running Windows XP Professional on laptop. For no apparent reason the "Rename" option has gone bye-bye for folders as well as files. There may be other functions that are gone as well, but that is the only one I can point to for sure, as I tried to use it.

Is there a simple way to restore those functions to the XP default, or to at least add this one back in?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 08:11 PM

Well ya stumped me.

I tested a couple of little programs that are supposed to edit the context menu, but they don't see the core windows default functions. Regedit can find and alter those that have been added by third party programs (winzip and avg for example) but google can give me no clue as to what entry would add or remove just one of the default context menu items.

It is somewhere in the registry but probably not in plain language. A pointer to a clsid with a hex entry somewhere...

Someone might know but I am unable to craft a google query to tease it out of the web. That bugs me.

Good luck.

You may want to scan with malwarebytes since malware can do some bizarre stuff to the registry. If you recently "cleaned" an infection of some sort this might be collateral damage.

#3 Homero

Homero

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:45 AM

pop-up downloaded something and then properties, rename, and delete functions were all disabled for me and I've also lost network capabilities after I rebooted

Edited by Homero, 14 December 2009 - 12:46 AM.

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:19 PM

This may or may not help you; but here goes. Any time some thing changes on my computer I run Malwareytes and Super Antispyware and my security scans. If you didn't change these things some thing did. If this doesn't find any thing I would go to Im I Infected on this site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users