Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup files when computer is down

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 McClainJa

McClainJa

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 05:21 PM

Hi, I am trying to help a friend. Her computer is a Sony Vaio PCG-7D2L running XP SP3. Her computer wont boot in normal mode or debugging mode. If I try Safe Mode it will load up to the black screen that has the writing at the top saying safe mode then I get an error that lsass.exe didn't load properly. I tried using Ubuntu from CD to get to her files and burn them to disk but after I burn the disk it just disappears, says there is no disk in. Is there a way to back up files without being able to get into windows?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 06:14 PM

boot the ubuntu cd and copy the files onto a usb key or usb external drive.
9.10 is pretty good at auto mount of external drives even if they are not plugged in when you boot.
Burning to cd under linux is not any better or worse than under windows. Often the burn will fail to close the disk or will burn files and folders that cannot be read. If you have isobuster you might be able to read the cd you burned and recover the files from there. Sometimes even that will not work.

Failing these methods, you can remove the drive and put it in an external usb enclosure. They are very cheap.
Looks like it should be an 80gb ide drive. A howto replace the drive should be on this page.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-doc...amp;region_id=1

The enclosure is very cheap.
http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Aluminum-Exter...y/dp/B000XPS3U6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users