Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

emachine will not boot in any mode

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 seekeroftruth

seekeroftruth

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 03:41 PM

Hello All,

My computer is an e-machine model no. S1940. It is running XP home edition. While downloading a file from lime wire my computer was infected with a virus. It started with pop ups, then began redirecting my browser to different web pages. Pop ups said my computer was infected. Download anti virus software immediately. I downloaded spy ware doctor and ran it. These are the list of threats it called out: 1. Trojan CWS; 2. Hijacker-Affiliated with Browser Hijackers; 3. Roque Anti-Spyware; 4. Trojan- Virtumonde; 5. Trojan -BHO.AJ.
Shortly thereafter the screen went blank and this appeared: Isass.exe - Application Error
The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005)
Click on ok to terminate application.

I then shut the computer down. tried to restart normally. no luck. then tried to restart in safe mode, no luck there either. Both times I recieved the same error message as posted earlier. I then downloaded kaspersky rescue cd and ran it. It removed some of the infected files but not all of them. Tried to restart normally and safe mode, both failed. Then ran avira rescue cd. It renamed several of the infected files. But still will not start in normal or safe mode. Now what?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:43 PM

A couple of different ones to try
Try Vipre first
http://live.sunbeltsoftware.com/

If you cannot bootup normally, cannot transfer required tools to the infected machine and cannot download anything while in safe mode, then your options are limited to what security tools you have on your computer. If those tools do not work, then your options become even more limited.

Have you tried using System Restore from a command prompt in Safe Mode to return to a previous state before your problems began?

If that doesn't work. these are links to Anti-virus vendors that offer free LiveCD or Rescue CD utilities that are used to boot from for repair of unbootable and damaged systems, rescue data, scan the system for virus infections. Burn it as an image to a disk to get a bootable CD. All (except Avira) are in the ISO Image file format. Avira uses an EXE that has built-in CD burning capability.If you are not sure how to burn an image, please read How to write a CD/DVD image or ISO. If you need a FREE utility to burn the ISO image, download and use ImgBurn.

Note: In order to use a rescue disk, the boot order must be set to start from the CD-ROM drive. If the CD is not first in the boot order, the computer will attempt to start normally by booting from the hard drive. The boot order is a setting found in the computerís BIOS which runs when it is first powered on. This setting controls the order that the BIOS uses to look for a boot device from which to load the operating system. The default will normally be A:, C:, CD-ROM. Different computers have different ways to enter the BIOS. If you're not sure how to do this, refer to:[list]
[*]Changing Your Computers Boot Order
[*]How to Change the Boot Order in BIOS
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 seekeroftruth

seekeroftruth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:18 PM

I was able to run bitdefender. First time thru it found several problems. They were deleted. Second time through, it found nothing. I then installed BartPE and ran chkdsk on /c and /r . Several files had to be replaced. After that I am still getting application failed (0xc0000005). Cannot boot in any mode. (normal,safe,etc.) Any suggestions?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 02:24 PM

Other than to reinstall , no I do not
Try the XP forums
Good luck
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 seekeroftruth

seekeroftruth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:29 AM

Try the XP forums
Good luck

Thanks for all the help. I found a fix for my problem. I am now back up and running. No more limewire for me!

#6 JstnGSD

JstnGSD

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:57 PM

Try the XP forums
Good luck

Thanks for all the help. I found a fix for my problem. I am now back up and running. No more limewire for me!

Similar problem, what was the fix?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users