Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Making my cpu more secure need opinion

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DEATHlLINK

DEATHlLINK

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:43 PM

Hi,
Im still learning and definitely need to know more about cpu security. I currently have Panda Internet Security, Windows Defender for realtime protection/firewall and have mbam (free version) as a av scanner my wireless is protected by wep security. My thoughts and questions on increasing my security are as follows:

1: Firewall
A.)I went to a test site listed in this forum on a topic I can't remember the site and it said the only thing I failed was the ping/echo test so how do I fix this?
B.) Should I change to Zone Alarm or Comodo instead of Panda and windows defender for firewall?
C.) Should I invest in a external firewall and any suggestions on particular brand?

2: Wireless
A.) My Linksys router is protected via wep so I am thinking I should change this to WPA is this a smart move?

3: Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard for browser helper objects should I install these programs as well I saw them reccomended to help prevent ?

I dont want to go crazy and put two many programs on my cpu and have them start conflicting with each other but I also really want to increase my security any advise would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

Edited by DEATHlLINK, 13 December 2009 - 12:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:33 PM

1)Are you using windows firewall AND panda's firewall? You should only have 1 firewall enabled at a time. I use Comodo firewall and I love it. Most wireless routers have a firewall built in.
2)WPA is more secure than WEP so it wouldn't hurt to switch.
3) Those are both good programs to help prevent infection.

#3 DEATHlLINK

DEATHlLINK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:42 PM

I have just panda firewall enabled. But after seeing that i passed all the port tests on the site that checks your firewall. Everything came up stealth and passed ,except the ping/echo test- so maybe I should switch to Comodo.

#4 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 03:10 PM

Could you post the link to that firewall test? I am curious to try it.

#5 DEATHlLINK

DEATHlLINK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 03:19 PM

I found it on one of the posts here I think it was in the networking section I'll try and find it.

#6 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 03:25 PM

I just found one and it failed the Ping test too, but I took like 2 more off of google results and passed the rest perfectly.

#7 DEATHlLINK

DEATHlLINK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 03:31 PM

The one I did was GRC/shields up
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

this is is what I failed: Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since "Ping" is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems prior to further exploitation.

I cant figure out how to configure pandas firewall to block,drop and ignore the ping request so im gonna see if i can figure it out or switch to comodo

#8 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 03:34 PM

Yup, that's the same test and area that Comodo failed. I'm not too anal about it though, I've been using Comodo for a while now and haven't had a problem so I'll let it be.

#9 DEATHlLINK

DEATHlLINK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 03:42 PM

I installed spyware blaster and my next step is to locate a secure/safe messenger service thats compatible with yim,aim etc. If I figure out a solution for the ping/echo I'll post it. Then I am going to call Linksys and have them help walk me thru switching to wpa security on my wireless. I have had 3 bad virus episoded in the past 2 yrs and I am tired of it I just really want to get everything as secure as possible.

#10 stillwaters

stillwaters

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 04:02 PM

Hi!

SUPERAntiSpyware free edition is another good malware scanner besides Malwarebytes. You can install both together as long as you don't use both as realtime protection. I also use Comodo Firewall and it's a great firewall. The defense+ can be annoying though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users