Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 worthwhile?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 atazk

atazk

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:27 PM

A few weeks ago my laptop computer crashed (more than likely because of the automatic updates, as i posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/277876/no-startup/ It seems I wont be able to recover that computer and would have to buy a new one. In this case, is Win7 really worth the buy? Many computers already come with Win7 installed, others with Vista, but are ready to upgrade. Is it just better to get Win7 from the start?

Also any advice for a "best buy" computer? One that doesnt break the pocket and is usually a good brand? Hp always seems to have problems. A rather basic computer that is used for some business purposes is fine, i dont need a "souped up" computer.

Edited by atazk, 14 December 2009 - 03:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 windows.user

windows.user

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:06 AM

If you can get a computer with Win 7 already installed go for it. I would invest in the upgrade to win 7 pro at the least to get windows xp mode.

I purchased a HP dv7 laptop back in early July and have had ZERO problems with it. It came with Vista and I got the Win 7 free upgrade which arrived in mid November. Had some minor software issues with the manual upgrade but finally fixed those problems with software updates and proper configuring my 3rd party anti-virus software.

Go with 64 bit version of windows 7.

Verify that the computer you purchase has virtualization technology built into the CPU processor

Purchase the upgrade to PRO or Ultimate version, I chose the ultimate version
Install windows xp mode, this is a free download from microsoft which runs a fully licensed version of windows XP inside of windows 7 while it is running and you can seamleasly flip between the two operating systems and swap files back and forth etc...

More horse power the better when it comes to running applications and multi-tasking, if you can get a quad-core processor over a duo core 2.

Go with at least 6GB of ram and a common hard disk size now is 500GB of space.
This allows you to run windows xp mode with no slow down of the main computer.

If you do Not intend to use XP mode then you do not need to upgrade to Win 7 PRO or Ultimate and you can go with less than 6 GB of ram.

I would suggest a laptop over a desktop computer, mainly for the portability. Today's computer systems there is no real difference in power between the desktop and laptop computers. I have a 22" monitor hooked into my laptop as a second monitor and the power of this computer is quite a bit more than my 3 year old desktop computer.

I do a lot of web design, multi-tasking, writing, open office type of software and web browsing.

I find that the combination of Win 7 features and the higher powered computer actually lets me be more productive and do more than a less powered machine running the same applications. Not a lot of waiting time for things to load and process.

For instant loading when I am done I turn my laptop to sleep mode when I shut it off. When I open the lid the system is instantly available to me without waiting for the normal boot procedures.

Over Vista and yes XP too, I personally find Windows 7 quicker to work with and be more productive in. I think that MS finally go things on track with Windows 7. It is not perfect, there is some minor and major differences but once you figure out the basics and the more useful features that is built-in you may find it easier to get things done than XP. I am ignoring Vista because I rarely used my laptop when it had vista installed, I HATE vista with passion. Win 7 has similar look to Vista but they actually made it easier to work in compared to Vista.

my 2 cents on this topic.

#3 atazk

atazk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:05 PM

thx for the response, but i dont think i will be needing 6gigs of ram or 500gb harddrive. With this in mind, i supppose what are the minimum requirements to run win7? with vista you needed at least 2gb and that was for the 32bit vers i think. Also what adv/disadv are there between 32bit and 64 bit? The laptop will really only be used for some business stuff. Laptops i have looked at come with either 3-4gb ram or 6 and at least 320gb hard drive, one of these setups would probably be fine, but thats where the win7 requirements concern me. Even though 3-4gig ram should be more than enough.

#4 WalkerA_WinTeam

WalkerA_WinTeam

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:28 PM

... what are the minimum requirements to run win7?

Also what adv/disadv are there between 32bit and 64 bit? The laptop will really only be used for some business stuff.

Here's what it takes to run Windows 7: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7...quirements.aspx

Minimum 1GB for 32-bit, 2GB for 64-bit. If you're only doing business stuff then you probably don't need more than 2 or maybe 3 GB. Since 64-bit is designed to better utilize greater amounts of RAM (>4GB) you probably wouldn't see the benefits.

More information about 32-bit vs. 64-bit versions of Windows can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7...64-bit-faq.aspx

Hope that helps! Good luck and enjoy Windows 7.

Cheers,

Walker
Windows Outreach Team

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users