Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Crashes and Restarts

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 krh1326

krh1326

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:24 PM

I am not sure where in the forum this belongs. I am sorry if I placed it wrong, and a mod moves it, I will be grateful.

I have windows xp pro, pentium 4 cpu and 1.50 GB of ram. I am not sure what other system info to post.

A problem had developed where when trying to use windows movie maker, way towards the end of saving a project, computer would crash and restart.

I stopped using WMM and didn't seem to have a problem with anything else. The same thing started happening with some other .avi to dvd programs.

But now recently, I noticed that when I try to do a McAfee virus scan, it crashes 1-2 hrs later, just prior to completion. System crashes and restarts.
This I need to correct, now that it is interfering with security.

I do have and run Malewarebytes Anti-Malware and Webroot SpySweeper, and I haven't had a problem with them yet.

I do have and run CCleaner frequently. I also run Disk Cleanup and the IE cleanup in the control panel frequently.

I keep the computer updated with microsoft. I believe that all of my drivers are well maintained as well.

How can I tell what is causing this condition?

Please keep in mind that I am from an older, non technical generation, and that these steps that are easy and second nature for you are major accomplishments for me. Some times the terms and language that you use everyday are like me learning a second language. But I am trying to learn.

Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,892 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:45 PM

A good place to look is Event Viewer. You want errors, not information items or warnings.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

The fact that McAfee crashes is nothing new...any program can crash at any time because of damaged files which prevent it from its specified tasks. Generally, the system can provide no warning when an installed program has damaged files.

The easy attempt to correct...uninstall said program, then reinstall and update/run same.

Louis

#3 krh1326

krh1326
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 03:11 PM

Thank you very much for that answer. I will read that tutorial, then try to see if I can find the problem.
Thanks again.

#4 krh1326

krh1326
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 04:10 PM

I just read a little about operating temps. I just tried a monitoring program and got these numbers.
Are they acceptable numbers? If not, could they cause this?

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type ITE IT8705F (ISA 290h)

Temperatures:
Motherboard 41 C (106 F)
CPU 38 C (100 F)
Aux 53 C (127 F)
Seagate ST3120814A 35 C (95 F)
WDC WD2500AVJB-63J5A0 33 C (91 F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 3375 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.54 V
+2.5 V 1.17 V
+3.3 V 3.25 V
+5 V 5.03 V
+12 V 11.39 V
+5 V Standby 4.78 V
VBAT Battery 2.80 V
Debug Info F FF 32 FF
Debug Info T 53 41 38
Debug Info V 60 49 CB BB B2 CB 3B (F7)

#5 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 09:56 PM

those temps seem ok. how hot does it get when you run computer at max like running movie maker. there are programs you can get that will max out your processing power and then you can monitor temps. if i suspect a machine is getting hot i take the doors off of it and visually check to make sure all fans are working. leave doors off and see if you can complete a virus scan.

#6 krh1326

krh1326
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:40 PM

I have looked at that event viewer, and am not finding any errors listed. I do find some info and some warnings, but not errors.

I have unchecked automatic restart in the system properties, to try to get the bluescreen with errors on it, but system still crashes and restarts.

I just installed another program, that causes this condition as well.

Is there any way to force my computer to at least "tell" me/us what is happening?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,892 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:11 PM

You can do a search of your C: partition for any .dmp files. These contain information about BSODs.

Then you can follow the steps listed at Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/.

If you have no .dmp files, that would seemingly indicate a heat or hardware issue, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users