Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect to the internet after running Combofix

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bdwilson

bdwilson

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:11 PM

Hi, I had to run Combofix on my family's computer (I am aware of the risks but it was the only solution I had), and now it's not connecting to the internet. I have tried restarting the computer as well as repairing the connection, but nothing worked. The computer is a Windows XP with a Linksys WRT54G router if that helps. Thanks in advance for any tips.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:16 PM

Hi, I had to run Combofix on my family's computer (I am aware of the risks but it was the only solution I had), and now it's not connecting to the internet. I have tried restarting the computer as well as repairing the connection, but nothing worked. The computer is a Windows XP with a Linksys WRT54G router if that helps.

Is the computer connected to the WRT54G with an ethernet cable or is it wirelsss?

#3 bdwilson

bdwilson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:33 PM

It's connected by an ethernet cable.

#4 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:28 PM

It's connected by an ethernet cable.

Start>run>type cmd

In black window type ipconfig /all
Press Enter.
This is the command prompt.

What is the IP address associated with Local Area Connection? Is it 169.254.xxx.xxx? If it is, type netsh winsock reset catalog and reboot the PC. When you log back in, try ipconfig /all once again. Does the IP address being with 192.18.xxx.xxx? If so, try surfing.

#5 bdwilson

bdwilson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:50 PM

My IP address starts with 192.168. After entering ipconfig/all into the command prompt, I opened up my browser but there was still no connection. :thumbsup:

#6 bdwilson

bdwilson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 01:08 AM

Alright, it seems that I have figured out the problem. Another antivirus program that I had used ended up changing one of the registry entries, which is what was interfering with the internet connection. Thank you for your help, though. :thumbsup: This topic can be closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users