Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

baffled with memory

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kazza248

kazza248

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 17 September 2004 - 04:28 PM

I recently bought another 128mb 144pin pc133 stick of memory for my laptop, (advent 6412dvd), installed it and it wont boot all the way gets to s.m.a.r.t. and stops, i previously bought 256mb and it booted but wouldn't let me access the Internet, as i haven't got a manual i don't know what key to press to get into the bios, i tried esc but it didnt work.....i am running win xp pro. Can anyone help me figure this out..tia Karen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 17 September 2004 - 11:06 PM

I'll hazard a guess Kazza. :thumbsup: I access BIOS by hittin' DELETE KEY repeatedly at power on, before it can boot. Once in BIOS I follow thw prompts. My BIOS is Phoenix. You should first try (and I know it'll be hard w/o internet access) to google your BIOS manufacturer for some clues. The only other thing I might say is s.m.a.r.t. ... to be continued after I re-boot and check more on my own PC. :trumpet:

EDIT: Results 1 - 10 of about 28,900,000 for S.M.A.R.T. [definition]. google search might be frustrating with those numbers.
[Middle English, stinging, keen, alert, from Old English smeart, causing pain.]
clicking on the definition will be next to useless :flowers:

Hard Disk S.M.A.R.T
This allows you to activate the S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring Anaylysis & Reporting Technology) capability for the Hard disks. S.M.A.R.T. is the utility that monitors your disk status to predict hard disk failure. This gives you an opportunity to move data from a hard disk that is going to fail to a safe place before the hard disk becomes offline. Settings Enabled and Disabled.
~ from the Quick User's Guide K7N2G series for AMD Athlon XP 2100+ (my motherboard manufacturer)

So, in all fairness to common sense, I'd hope it is a simple matter of your board temporarily not recognizing the HDD. Try unplugging the cable and re-plugging it.

If the mobo can't "see" it's HDD(s), it can't see the operating system...therefore it can't boot. So, another option would be to try booting from a CD.

BTW, you came to the right place...even if you may have to wait a while before someone with a more solid understanding of hardware issues comes along. :inlove:

Edited by phawgg, 17 September 2004 - 11:33 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 17 September 2004 - 11:13 PM

Aint pcs fun!? But I would contact your pcs maker if its hp or compaq go to hp.com and do the live chat.... They should help you out....

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 18 September 2004 - 09:12 AM

I would try to switch out the RAM chips. It is possible, that if you had the faster one, in the first slot (called slot 0), and the other one is rated slower, then the computer does not understand why there is a difference is speed. If you put the slower one in front, then the 2nd one will run, but at the slower speed.

You said that you are having problems, getting online. What type of connection do you have: dial-up, cable, DSL?
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#5 kazza248

kazza248
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2004 - 12:59 PM

they are both 144pin pc133 but the original one seems to have a different pin arrangement the one in it is samsung k4s281632c and i have tried crucial which i resold and this one is mosel

the crucial one worked great apart from i couldn't connect to the Internet, i'm on cable, had the tech support at ntl trying to sort it out, in the end i sold it...

this one it wont read at all...

i cant find much help anywhere for advent :thumbsup:

#6 kazza248

kazza248
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2004 - 01:56 PM

just tried again.....thought i would try them in switched banks, till i tried to put it back together, the new memory is physically bigger the old one is just under 3cm and the new one just over 3cm, i wouldn't have thought this would make a difference, but it does when you try to refit the keyboard, the protective cover over the memory sticks up more and the keyboard wont go back into place...geez this is driving me insane

#7 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 18 September 2004 - 04:37 PM

In cases where sanity is in question, I'm understandably reluctant to send you off on yet another online search, but I googled your samsung part number and waded through the responses to find this: com-com co. UK where you might be able to find out more about the right memory card to use. Maybe some tech or sales support there might be familiar with your dilema to some degree. Good Luck. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#8 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2004 - 06:34 PM

From what I can tell, it seems like the computer does not recognize all of the RAM for some reason. Lets start with a few things that you can look at and report. First, install the RAM back the way it was, that does not conflict with your keyboard. You mentioned that you do not have any problems, except for when you are going online. I will assume that everything else will work, until this occurs, so you need to check a few things out.

First, click START -> Control Panel -> System and right below the processor speed, will be the installed RAM. Post back the amount that it says. While you are on System Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under the Startup and Recovery portion, click Settings. About halfway down, is System Failure, make sure that there is a check by 'Write an event to the system log', and 'send an administrative alert'. By doing this, when your computer freezes up, an error will be logged.

Go back to the System Properties, and click Advanced tab, and Settings under Performance. Click advanced again, and near the bottom is Virtual memory. Please post the amount that you see. Click change. On this screen, you will see different values. Where it says 'Paging File size for selected drive', you have 3 different choices: Custom Size, System managed size, and No paging file. In most cases, you will already have Custom size selected-I need to know what is listed for both Initial Size, and Maximum size. Further down the screen, there will be recommended, and currently allocated. I need to know those amounts as well. Click Cancel here and also on Performance Options, because I do NOT want you to make ANY changes-I just need to know what you have.

I will have an idea on where to go, with the answers that you provide.

#9 kazza248

kazza248
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2004 - 09:12 PM

The first memory i bought was recognized but no Internet connection, so i resold it, this memory, the machine wont recognize and wont boot, but after measuring it, its physically bigger.

under properties it says 120mb of ram
in advanced it says system managed size min 2mb, recommended 178mb, currently allocated 358 mb, hope this is what you wanted

#10 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2004 - 09:49 PM

under properties it says 120mb of ram
in advanced it says system managed size min 2mb, recommended 178mb, currently allocated 358 mb, hope this is what you wanted

I think that you have defective RAM. The reason why you can not access the internet, is because it will allocate a certain amount of it, when you get online. If it is not there (as the computer sees), then it does not know what to do. There are a few options, but personally, I would try to return it. The physical size makes me think this anyway.

You can d/l an alternate explorer, such as Opera or Firefox. These do not use the allocated memory method, and you may have better luck with these.

FYI: About 99.9% of RAM is divisable by 8. The reason behind it, is far too complicated for this thread, but you told me what the computer has found. Even with computers that use on-board video or sound, will still show the amount, under properties, as a multiple of 8. You said that you installed a 128 MG, and the computer did not see all of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users