Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ares p2p downloader

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 secretangel

secretangel

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 09:38 AM

My daughter had some strange advert on her laptop that she couldn't get rid of. I opened Task Manager to see what was running and noticed something called Ares, I asked her what it was and she said she'd downloaded it when a friend was trying to send her a music file.

I have a couple of questions

1. Is it "safe"?
2. Is it illegal to share music this way?

I don't want to get in trouble with my ISP and with a friend in the music business I'm well aware of the consequences of illegal file sharing as far as that is concerned.

Thanks
Posted Image

When you wanna give up, and your hearts about to break
Remember that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chamber

chamber

Bleepin' Geek

• Members
  • 329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:19 PM

Ares is p2p software, whilst the program itself is not illegal most of the files downloaded within it are.

P2P programmes form a direct conduit onto your computer, their security measures are easily circumvented, and Malware writers are increasingly exploiting them to spread their wares onto your computer. Further to that, if your P2P programme is not configured correctly you may be sharing more files than you realise. There have been cases where people's Passwords, Address Books and other personal, private, and financial details have been exposed to the file sharing network by a badly configured programme.

You can read the full post HERE

Mush safer to go out and buy the song.

:thumbsup:

Posted Image

watch me and tremble, for I bring the purity of oblivion

Sudo apt-get me a sandwich!

Proud graduate of GeekU

#3 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:56 PM

P2P programs aren't illegal, and can be safe if used correctly. A lot of the music downloaded on P2P sites is clean, yet illegal. But there is a large portion that is infected as well.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:45 PM

Since you are a mother and asking about your daughter downloading Ares P2P, I assume your daughter is a minor.

Keeping that in mind, let me tell you that most of P2P apps use same networks. Unfortunately, Some of them share unmentionable perverted material in addition to normally accepted p0rn. Some people also put viruses, trojans, keyloggers etc in the disguise of innocent file names.

1. Is it safe? plain answer is No (without going into the philosophy of that question because nothing is safe anymore yet the level of safety depends on the user)
2. Is it illegal to share music that way? Yes if the music is copyrighted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users