Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to delete Restore Points... Still infected??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HypNotYzd!

HypNotYzd!

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 08:47 AM

So basically I usually use CCleaner to remove unwated restore points. I do it because my computer desparately needs the space. I recently removed a bunch of infections from my machine (with the help of one of BleepingComputer's admins), however now I am unable to remove ANY of my restore points using either CCleaner or doing it manually with System Restore.

Everytime I use go into System Restore, it gives me this message:

"System restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer and then run system restore again."

Does that mean that I am still infected or is it something else? Malwarebytes and my other programs havn't come up with anything so I'm a little confused...

Thankyou in advance =)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 08:52 AM

That means that System Restore isn't turned on I believe.

Now you should Set a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since System Restore is a protected directory, your tools can not access it to delete these bad files which sometimes can reinfect your system. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "OK".
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

#3 HypNotYzd!

HypNotYzd!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 09:22 AM

You must have read what I wrote wrong; I cannot create a new restore point because I cannot access it!

Also, it wont even allow me to turn it off, it gives me the message:

"System Restore encountered an error trying to enable/disable one or more drives. Please restart your machine and try again."

In addition, when I try to remove them using Disk Cleanup, nothing happens.

I agree with you when you say some of the malware could have been saved in System Restore. The only problem now is how do we get rid of it?!

#4 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 09:26 AM

This may be a windows issue, rather than malware. The malware may have caused this before/during removal. It is possible that you are still clean and this is just a problem that the malware left you as a sort of....goodbye present so to speak. You may want to start a topic in the appropriate Operating System thread.

#5 HypNotYzd!

HypNotYzd!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:19 AM

Oh, I figured this would be the appropriate section... So move it ASAP? Or should I wait for a Moderator to have a look?

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,943 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:55 PM

Hello,

I see that you were receiving assistance in the HiJack This forum here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/272914/multiple-backdoor-trojans-other-infections/ This issue seems to be a result of the infection and removal process. I would strongly suggest contacting elise025 via PM and inform her that your system restore is still malfunctioning and to reopen your HiJack This topic.

I am at this time closing the other two topics in the Windows XP forum discussing this same issue.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users