Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update... won't

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kamikun

kamikun

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 07:25 AM

Howdy. First posties for me...

I have been through this forum and others looking for some kind of fix to my problem.

About 8 months ago, Windows Updates starting failing during installation. In fact almost all (90% or so) of .msi install files would fail on my system.

I use a Japanese language system but the error message says (I think) that my user account was denied access. Problem is I am logged in with an Administrator account.

I have tried downloading individual updates and running them in Safe Mode in THE Administrator account and they meet with the same failure.

Most uninstalls also fail - however I can use a portable uninstaller on a thumb drive, just not the Windows Remove Programs app. In addition, I've run a suite of anti-malware, anti-virus, anti-trojan programs along with registry checkers to try and isolate the problem. But my win-fu is done funked out. There is no obvious infection (no redirects, pop-ups, etc.) apart from this inability to access the install routines. Non .msi installs usually go off without a hitch.

For the record: I'm using a Win XP home system updated to SP2 (SP3 fails to install each time I try) with a 1.8 GHz CPU, 512M of RAM (max for this old laptop).

I've got 22 or so programs in the update que and have no way to get this computer to come join us here in 2010.

Could anyone please suggest what else I could try doing to clear this issue up? Thanks a lot in advance.

Programs I've run so far:

Avira AntiVirus
CCleaner (for registry cleaning)
ATF Cleaner (for the same thing)
Spybot
HijackThis (but didn't see anything obvious)
ClamWin Antivirus
Revouninstall (for removing anything that looked like it wasn't locked down and might jolt this system into working)
SpyDLL Remover
ESETS online scanner

And probably a few others I've forgotten. Still it won't update.

kamikun

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:31 AM

<<Most uninstalls also fail...>>

Such as what?

WUS issues are one thing, other program issues are another...they are not necessarily related issues.

SP2 does not offer protection against any new malware efforts that have evolved since the issue of SP2. SP2 came out quite some time ago.

Louis

#3 kamikun

kamikun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:30 AM

Louis:

Thanks for the reply.

<<Such as what?>>

I think all of the uninstalls that fail are also previous .msi installs.

This laptop was updated with SP2 back when it came out. I have dutifully installed all updates since up until the system stopped recognizing my account.

I think I am doing a poor job of explaining my problem. Basically .msi installs (and uninstalls) fail because the system says I do not have the ability to access the "core." (Sorry if my translation is off.)

For example SP3 will go through the entire pre-install routine (extracting files, creating a restore point, etc.) but on the install itself it claims I do not have the right to access the system.

This will happen even if I log in as ADMINISTRATOR in Safe Mode.

The same thing happens on uninstalls. The computer will halt the uninstall telling me I cannot access the system because I am not an administrator. Again this is while logged in as ADMINISTRATOR in Safe Mode.

Hope that helps explain things.

Thanks again,.

Ron

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:52 AM

I guess that I don't understand...why you are trying to uninstall security updates.

In any case...take a look at Event Viewer and see if you can find any errors that may shed light on your situation.

<<I use a Japanese language system but the error message says (I think) that my user account was denied access. Problem is I am logged in with an Administrator account.>>

I haven't the slightest idea what you are trying to say. What does the above statement...have to do with your inability to install or uninstall Windows critical updates?

Have you tried creating a new user profile with admin privileges...and installing the updates from that account?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 December 2009 - 11:03 AM.

#5 stillwaters

stillwaters

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:53 AM

Hi!

An illegal install of Windows can prevent updates. Sometimes unscrupulous resellers can sell you an illegal copy without your knowledge. Otherwise you can try the suggestions in these Microsoft Support articles:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users