Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE 8 Improperly Updated?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 RangerDude

RangerDude

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 05:36 AM

History:I recently became aware of a problem that I first suspected might be the result of an improperly configured setup during the sntallation of IE 8 or perhaps changes to specific options selected brought about by file corruption. I observed a dialog box each time I attempted to download a file occuring immediately after tYahoo precscanned the download for infection. This dialog box informed me that some "adware program" (best of my recollection) couldn't be located and therefore the download could not proceed. Strangely, after closing out the dialog box, the download had indeed occurred.

Very shortly after the dialog box incident surfaced, I began experiencing problems much more real in nature. I am unable to uninstall different programs and receive error messages stateing various reasons. With HP programs, the error mewssages referred to not being able to detect a "Doc Viewer" yet the Doc viewe program for HP was still listed as an installed program in Add/Remove programs. Other incidences cited problems with the 'Windows Installer" not functioning.

When I tried to reinstall some programs (i.e. HP software) from an imaged backup on another drive, the only message I recieved was that the programs could not be reinstalled and that I should attempt to reinstall the programs using the re-imaging discs used to perform a complete data destruction (loss of data) before re-imaging, which is the equivalent of reformatting and reinstalling of programs onto the hard drive.

Before attempting this, I thought it prudent to backup my data using a McAfee archiving program. Unfortunately, I could not complete the setup because there were options essential to directing the program what data to archive and where the files were located. So I contacted McAfee and the technician who assisted me would not answer my questions and only informed me that IE 7 and 8 were not being "updated" correctly after being uninstalled and then re-installed and that I should contact Microsoft to resolve this issue. I watched him uninstall IE 8 and then install IE 7 after granting him remote access.

So, my question to you is where can I locate guidance that will allow me to "properly" install IE 8 so that I can begin by archiving my data before I addressthe other issues I previously described. Who knows, maybe a good install will resolve the other issues as well?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users