Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there a way to use the Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:42 AM

Is there a way to use the Hard Drive

In another system if I partition it ??

My friend has a laptop that is down I need to start up another PC,

Desk Tops, . .

Can I use a Hard drive from another Brand PC and Partition it to except a different Operating system, . .

OR Must I reformat it first ??

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:09 AM

your question is a bit confusing. as far as transfering hard drives from one computer to another yes, as long as the interface is the same-for example if the hard drive is IDE then the other computer must be able to accept IDE drives. if it is sata, then the other computer must be sata. If it is going to be a primary hard drive, then chances are you will have to reformat it if you have anything windows xp or newer. If you want it as a secondary hard drive, then you can slave it to the primary and then be able to pull any and all files off of it no problem, without having to create a partition.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:11 AM

oh and I just noticed, are you transfering the hard drive from the laptop to a desktop? well, if its an IDE you may have a problem with hooking it up, if its sata you may have a problem installing it into the case. It will work with the computer just fine, but since laptop HDs are smaller then Desktop (2.5 in vs 3.5) you may have to have a special adaptor (bought or homemade) or put it into an external enclosure to work.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#4 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 03:48 AM

Sorry I confused you, But it is desk top to desk top, . . I was only saying that her lap top was out and she needs a PC, so I'm putting it together, but thinking that most formatted HD's will work,
I was wondering if a clean partition created could be used to install another OS. ?

I think I'll just give her the antique instead of messing with the HD so that is works for two PC's.
Meaning, I wanted the HD back with the prior system still on it, since I have two extra PC's here with only one HD working.

Sorry at first it seemed urgent but I have some time, . . Thanks Much

My information previously came from a PC fix it guy who led me to believe that any formatted HD will go into any PC, . . could be I didn't understand what he was saying.

Edited by Jove, 13 December 2009 - 03:50 AM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 05:08 PM

any formatted HD will go into any PC-the problem is, formatted means erased lol. Its technically possible, in theory. (now that I know what your after) in theory, if you install the HD into the other computer, then install another OS on a dual boot on the hard drive, yes you can do it. heres the trick, you have to wait until the HD is in the computer to be used, and you cannot allow the OS already on it (if its windows xp or newer) to ever boot up, because once that OS realizes that its a different motherboard, it will require you to either reactivate windows, or purchase a new OS.

picard5.jpg

#6 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:40 AM

I see, . . not having practiced partitons on HD's, I can only imagine that in the case of creating partitions it would be similar to having two HD's or two parts for the single HD, . .

but, I am confused of the rest, would it not then be PC acceptable to, configure the PC with newly formatted partition, by entering the BIOS, to boot from the partition, then install the OS ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:00 AM

your bios will probably not recognize the partition. However, by simply inserting the windows boot disc, you can from there use windows partition manager to create a partition, and install the OS to the partition from there. windows should then install the OS onto that partition, and (dont quote me on this) I believe windows should create a boot menu to choose which partition to boot to, and which one to use primarily. Basically, dual booting. There is a way to hide the menu and just boot up the partition you want but I don't know it. Its the same as say dual booting XP and vista or linux and XP. the only thing you have to make sure of is not to let the original OS (on the first partition, not the one you installed) get past the login screen if that, because then it will require you to reactivate windows.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users