Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SMART event error on LAPTOP HDD.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dhruv

dhruv

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:40 PM

Hey guys..
Initially MyHDD was showing SMART event error, then one day my lappy would not start not even in the Safe mode. So i tried to install UBUNTU but it was also showing some error during installation. but i am presently using UBUNTU from a CD. I also tried installing Vista but it also showed error during installation . Is the HD damaged??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:46 PM

SMART is a built in problem\failure monitor in hard drives. I have seen SMART not report errors on drives that were going bad. But I have never seen it report a non-existing error.

Without the exact error we are hard pressed to say what the problem may be.

My suggestion, at least for the time being is assume the hard drive is a goner.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:42 AM

The hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility...should reveal the condition of the drive more extensively than any other tool. Long test.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users