Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet disconnection.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Surreal

Surreal

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 10:46 PM

Ive been having this problem for quite a while now, every time i start a download (Torrent, http, anything) Or sometimes when i stream a video from a site like YouTube, my internet disconnects and my router resets. Afterwards, i get internet back, but its annoying to have my connection interrupted every time i download something.

Does anyone know what could be the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Techguy27

Techguy27

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:54 PM

What is the router model? (example: Linksys BEFW11S4)

#3 Surreal

Surreal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:11 PM

D-Link DVA-G3810BN/TL

#4 Techguy27

Techguy27

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 01:09 PM

Depending on who your internet is with, most places have a line coming in to your home that leads to a modem. The modem has a CAT5 cable coming out to (in your setup) the router's WAN port.

If you have a modem, check to see if it is rebooting as well when the internet disconnects. If so, I would contact your ISP for assitance.

If it is just your router, there are a couple things you could try, but ultimately it sounds like a router replacment would be the way to go.

To start:
I would recommend reseting the router back to the factory defaults to clear any misconfigured settings via the reset button. Before doing so, record any ISP specific information. Such as if you are using a PPPoE connection, you will need the Username and Password information. Refer to the manual for reconfiguring the router.

Next:
I know with the Linksys BEFW11S4 you need to do a firmware update for the issue you have described. If you call D-Link, it is likely they will give you the same answer. Refer to the manual if unsure on firmware updates. If done incorrectly, your router will become a paperweight.

90% of the time, when I see this issue it is a failing router. Something to consider before investing too much time in troubleshooting it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users