Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card Problem?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 User1715402

User1715402

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 09:47 PM

XP-PNY's8800GTS-E6700-3 1G Sticks-2yo Rig.

...here's my problem:

Was playing Sacred 2 and started having CTDs, lock-ups, and odd red squiggly... "artifacts" is it? Upon restart no problems occured until gamplay had resumed. Uninstalled S2 ( it wasnt running well anyway) and the problems persisted more and more frequently. Attempted to play a 3D browser MMO windowed to see how that went and it wasn't long before the red squigglies came back and the graphics went blocky in the window while the desktop stayed unnaffected. After closing the browser it was back to normative. Updated to newest 8800 drivers a minute ago, restarted, and got into the TF2 loadout menu before graphics meltdown. An actual message popped up after bringing up the task manager saying the graphics drivers were failing and to restart. I did so and here I am at BC, wondering what to do. It's safe to assume that its actually the 8800 dying at this point, or could it be a memory issue or something? I'm afraid to do anything but type here at BC.
Can provide any additional info if needed; Any advice greatly appreciated and many thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:24 AM

is this a recent problem? did it start after updating any drivers (video card or or otherwise) or right after a windows update? my first assumption is the cards about to hit the dust, but its also possible its a driver compatibility issue. Small chance of it being a PSU, but I doubt it. Its either the card going bad, or something you updated isnt agreeing with the video card driver, or the video card driver isnt agreeing with something you updated. You might try rolling back the driver to. Does it do it when watching movies or surfing, or even after just being left on all the time doing nothing?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 User1715402

User1715402
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 06:12 PM

It's a recent problem, to answer your question. It didnt start when I put S2 on the drive but it started shortly after I started playing it. The progresion of events I described in the first post actually went down in no more than a couple weeks time and most of that time the rig was off. I didnt really update anything or make any drastic changes during said time, it was only after the meltdown that i attempted to update the video card drivers. yesterday after this posting the system froze just being left alone, then frost instantly after restart. Nevertheless, here i am today with no obvious (to me at least) issues. Im sure if I try to play any game beyond minesweeper (maybe even that) the problems will begin again. Im going to try and play something again so I guess Ill probly be responding from a crappy laptop...

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:03 AM

well, then Im going to say that it is bad hardware, my guess is most likely the video card, though its possible its also the PSU. do you have another system you can try either out in, or another video card/PSU laying around that you can swap out to test? that would be what i would be tempted to do. easiest solution is to take the card out and put it into another computer, and if it does the same thing its a bad card.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:20 AM

Check and make sure the card isn't overheating. Make sure the fan is still working properly and that there is no significant dust build up inside the case.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users