Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus prevents Norton security updates

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dpookster

dpookster

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 08:59 PM

I have a brand new HP laptop running Windows 7, with Norton Internet Security. After only a week, I noticed that it couldn't access the Live Update server. After contacting Norton, they found the following files in the System32 directory (7B296FB0-376B-497e-B012-9C450E1B7327-5P-0.C7483456-A289-439d-8115-601632D005A0 and 7B296FB0-376B-497e-B012-9C450E1B7327-5P-1.C7483456-A289-439d-8115-601632D005A0), and after paying $100, they removed them for me. However, it appeared to have corrupted my OS, as it showed a message on the desktop (this version of Windows is not genuine). I recovered by starting over from the HP recovery partition, and the computer booted like it was brand new again. After installing Norton, Office, etc. I kept checking if Live Update was working, and it was. However, after installing Office, Java, Adobe Flash updates, Windows updates, etc., I tried Live Update again, and it hung. Sure enough, the virus files were there again! I don't think I accepted anything from an unreliable source. The only concern was a pop up from Java for running a file called "jucheck.exe" or something that didn't say it came from Java or Sun, but did do a Java update.

I found your website after searching the web for the virus file name, and it had a discussion referring to a file called OTCleanIt that appeared to have fixed this same issue for another user. However, this file is no longer available on this site. How can I resolve this issue? And how do I know where the virus came from so I don't get it again? Norton doesn't seem to be able to block it or remove it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:39 PM

Those are not virus files, but rather update files, I'm pretty sure

the virus files were there again

Submit them for a jotti and virustotal scan
http://virusscan.jotti.org/en
http://www.virustotal.com/

Download and Run OTCleanIt
This program will remove the tools you have used.
  • Download OTCleanIt by OldTimer to your desktop.
  • Double click OTCleanIt.exe to start the program.
  • Click the big CleanUp! button.
  • When asked if you want to proceed with the cleanup process, click Yes. Restart your computer when prompted.
Delete the file after use, if it did not delete itself.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users