Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Retreiving Adobe CS2 serial number off old hard drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 S. Langfield

S. Langfield

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 08:00 PM

I have a LEGITIMATE copy of Adobe Creative Suite 2 Premium (seriously, I will take pictures of the box and CDs if I need to). It was purchased a while back and given to me when I was younger. Younger and more stupid, I might add, since I neither asked for the receipt nor registered the product online. This was fine up until I wanted Adobe CS2 on my new computer, and upon transferring it told me my serial number was now invalid. I probably just need to re-install, but surprise surprise, I lost the sleeve with the serial number on it too!

I tried calling Adobe to see if there was anything I could do, but no luck, thanks to the lack of proof of purchase. So I turned to Google. Apparently, the serial number is stored in the registry of my computer. I recently upgraded my old computer to a new one, since the old one doesn't power on anymore (and it's old). My old hard drive is currently in a USB enclosure connected to my new computer.

What I'd like to know is, is there any way I can view the registry of my old hard drive? I don't want to edit or remove anything, just to look and see the serial number of my copy of Adobe CS2.

Add. Info:

Old Computer OS: Windows XP (SP3)
New Computer OS: Windows 7 64-bit

(I also googled a possible solution. Something about loading a "hive" into regedit and then unloading it when I'm done. Further research says the serial number is said to be under HKEY_CURRENT_USER, and the, uh "hive" for that is said to be located in NTUSER.DAT. Well, I know where NTUSER.DAT is, but I sure don't know how to do anything with the registry!)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2009 - 10:17 PM

The Belarc Advisor or SIW should show it
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 10:40 PM

I could be wrong...but I believe those 2 utilities only work on the system drive which is active, not an additional hard drive in a non-boot/system state.

Louis

#4 S. Langfield

S. Langfield
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:10 AM

Thanks for the responses. I have to agree with hamluis here. I tried out Belarc, and Adobe CS2 didn't even show up on the list.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:30 AM

If it still has the OS on it:

Could you install the old drive in your new pc as the primary drive? It would be temporary, just long enough to run one of the utilities for the number.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:03 PM

but I believe those 2 utilities only work on the system drive which is active

I knew there was a reason I write down all of the program keys on the inside cover :thumbsup:
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 S. Langfield

S. Langfield
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 03:54 PM

If it still has the OS on it:

Could you install the old drive in your new pc as the primary drive? It would be temporary, just long enough to run one of the utilities for the number.

It still has the OS, yes. I'm not very good with computers, though, how would I go about doing this?

My comp information, if needed:

Dell Insprion 537
Processor: Intel® Celeron® CPU

garmanma: Haha, I have a list of my keys now, but I started the habit sometime after I lost my Adobe serial number. :thumbsup:

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:58 AM

unplug your current master HDD and plug the old one in its place. Reboot the computer and listen to it complain about drivers for a few minutes and hopefully you won't get a blue screen of death. If all goes ok and you can get windows to load you can run SIW and retrieve the keys. I keep mine on an encrypted usb drive that hangs out with the dust bunnies inside my pc's case.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users