Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

misconfig

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brickman258

brickman258

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 06:54 PM

Hello Members,
I'm using Windows XP Pro----trying to find out all the programs that are running in Start-Up. It's my understanding that I can get that info through start>run>misconfig. However, when I enter that in the "run"box, my computer stops me and says the path cannot be found.
I need to know how to do this and which programs I can safely stop running. Also, I have 50 processes running in Task Manager. Is that too many? Thanks for your replies.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:09 PM

It's msconfig.

Once the window opens, select the Startup tab and take a screenshot of the entire list and post back here.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 12 December 2009 - 07:13 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 samuria

samuria

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:16 PM

get startupcpl its free and better than ms get the exe one

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:21 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

<<I have 50 processes running in Task Manager...>>

The number of processes running in Task Manager at any time...is directly related to the programs installed and currently running. The more programs, then it is likely that the number of processes running (for updates, scanning, etc.) will be larger.

Example: I limit the number of startup items and I remove fluff programs from my system. I currently reflect 40 processes running in Task Manager, while I have a total of 5 items running at startup.

Msconfig is a trouble-shooting tool, it is not a startup manager, nor was it ever intended to be such. Despite that, many persons seem to think that it is such.

If you want to manage startups...do a Google search for startup managers...and select one which seems to fit you and which makes sense to you.

IMO, one of the best is the Autoruns program, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx. But this program is a little tricky because it reflects everything (including Windows items) that begins at boot. If you use this, the only items to be concerned with...are those which appear on the Logon tab of Autoruns.

Rather than delete items which you do not want to run at startup, disable them first. Disabling or deleting a startup items doesn't remove it from installed/working programs...but it does prevent it from running when it is not needed.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users