Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup always reports lack of disk space

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zimmer46

zimmer46

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 05:36 PM

Recently installed Windows 7 and trying to set up the Windows backup utility. Tried twice and got a reprt that there was not enough disk space. Now installed a new 250 Gb drive purely for the back up. Utility runs for about 2 hours and still gives me a report that there is insufficient disk space. Really puzzled since my Win 7 disk, all programs and all data files incl music and video etc etc etc are way less that 250 Gb. So why is this not working ? Am I missing something ?

Andrew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zimmer46

zimmer46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 07:03 AM

Just a bit more info if it helps ...

Firstly, should have said I am backing up my Windows 7 files to another networked PC running XP.
Also, having run it again it has created a message as follows

"Windows Backup skipped backing up system image because one of the crtical volumes does not have enough disk space. Free up some disk space by deleting uneccesary files and try again."

Error code 0x81000033

All my personal files have been backed up so its just the image thats failing. That said, the disk I am backing up to still has over 130Gb of free space, so I do not understand why I get an insufficient space error.

Andrew

#3 Freond

Freond

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 01:23 PM

I've been having the same problem. I have a month-old HP laptop running Windows 7 64 bit, and I'm trying to do my first back up, to a 500GB My Book that I've used before on my prior laptop. This is about the simplest backup I can imagine, so the problem is very basic. The error messages don't tell you which "critical volume" doesn't have enough space, so, thinking it's the My Book, I reformatted. No help. It looks like I do have data backed up, but with 236 zip files in the backup, I don't know if it's all there.

In a nutshell, the problem is apparently with the original hard drive partitions not being large enough to hold temp files. At least, that's how I understand what I found, as described below.

I found another message board where someone had the same problem and found a solution. See
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums...56-10b3f07c18b6

The link there, to
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/08/20/h...ling-windows-7/
has more info.

Here's similar info on yet another board.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums...5e-2962c2a4bc4d
I found this by googling "0x80780119," the error message I got when I tried using the Backup and Restore Center to "Create a system image' separately. That thread quotes the whole error message recommending 1GB of free space on each volume.

I think their solution boils down to messing around with the disk partition or preformatting the disk before reinstalling Windows 7. I'm not about to reformat the disk and reinstall the OS just for this stupid problem.

Is there something else I can do (that's not drastic) to fix this? I used to consider myself a computer techie, but my expertise is so obsolete it's sad, so have pity on a geezer. I guess I need to look at different backup software that doesn't trip over itself.

Edited by Freond, 14 December 2009 - 01:26 PM.

#4 zimmer46

zimmer46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:06 PM

Thanks for those links.

I had googled a bit myself and was coming to the same view. I've now backuped my data and user files and had to omit the image files at this stage, but at least thats something.

I think my issue goes back to my Windows 7 install. I first installed on a clean disc and it created the reserved partition. However, I wiped the disk again so that I could create two partitions before the Win 7 install. It was only afer I installed again that I could see there was still a small partition without a drive letter described as "System, Active, Primary Partition" . Its only 30Mb in size and 27Mb used. Not sure how I can access it to see what it is, and have not tried resizing or deleting it just in case I trash the whole installation. Reading those other posts, I wonder if this is the root of my problem.

Andrew

#5 Freond

Freond

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:45 PM

Windows 7 does come with a Disk Management utility. It seems that I should be able to shrink C: and then add the space to D:, but users report that they aren't able to do this. Might have to do with where the space is located on the disk--expanding D: might require space to be contiguous to it. I'm reluctant to mess with this until I hear that someone made it work.

If anyone has any luck with this, please let us know.

Here's a link to a page that has a clear explanation of how to get to the utility, and some reports on using it (or being unable to).

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-windows-vista/

Here's another link to a good discussion on the issue. While there are some possible culprits for the issue, and some workarounds, it seems like this is a MicroSoft problem with Windows 7 that they need to fix.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums...0d-0bd09d04c7f4

Edited by Freond, 14 December 2009 - 05:05 PM.

#6 Freond

Freond

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:26 AM

I finally change the specs on the backup to not create a system image, and the backup finished successfully.

I guess I go to a 3rd party backup package, or wait for MS to fix this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users