Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

recovery disc no boot

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 donfriesen

donfriesen

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 05:28 PM

Combine two separate topics with same subject matter

Emachines xp home. After running the recovery disc in destructive recovery mode a boot is supposed to take place when alt/ctrl/del are chosen. No response happens at this command other than a view of "e" logo and a return to instructions to press alt/ctrl/del. The lines above this line state:
verifying dmi pool data...
boot from cd
NTLDR is compressed

Manually shutting down and restarting computer does nothing to resolve.
f2 takes me to Bios cmos setup utility(I have no knowledge how to use this)
f10 takes me to boot first device menu( ditto on this too)
f12takes me to stuff about intel and etherenet adapter

On first destructive recovery attempt the internet cable was attached . Other recovery attempts were made : destructive with and without backup as well as repair recovery.

Any help would be appreciated, with thanks.

Edited by garmanma, 26 December 2009 - 10:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 06:38 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

What model eMachines? Never mind :flowers:.

Seems to be a pretty common problem, see http://www.madboot.com/index.php?option=co...msg18;topicseen

You can download the Recovery Console in .iso format....then burn that to CD, using a program such as one of the following: How to successfully burn or write an ISO-image to cd or dvd - http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm. I use the Active@ Iso Burner program.

Download Recovery Console, Bootable ISO - http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

Once you have burned the .iso file to CD, resulting in a bootable CD with the XP Recovery Console...you can then use the CD to write the commands indicated in the Madboot link I posted above.

Another reference: How to write a CD-DVD image or ISO - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/

Louis

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:34 PM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Now enter the following commands:

cd \
attrib -c ntldr
exit

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 donfriesen

donfriesen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:38 PM

Louis:

Thanks for the info! When I have time I'll try what you suggested and let you know how it went .

Don.

#5 donfriesen

donfriesen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:19 PM

Budapest: Thanks for the reply. My computer came loaded with xp ( no installation disk) and a recovery disk. So I'm not sure I can use your advice. Thanks for the try! Don

Edited by donfriesen, 20 December 2009 - 04:21 PM.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:39 PM

You can create your own Recovery Console disk with this file:

http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

You must burn this file to a CD as an ISO. How to write a CD/DVD image or ISO.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 donfriesen

donfriesen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:58 PM

Hi, Doc . I tried the dban trick but got no response at all. Here's what I did: downloaded the dban , unzipped, copied iso file to cd (close to 6 mb), made sure the boot sequence was first to cd , ran the cd in the desktop xp computer with no response after insertion and restart. The monitor returns to the screen which is asking for a alt/ctrl/del key-in to restart and still no response at command prompt line.

Other advice from another forum suggest a boot cd of the recovery console iso image but this also brought no response.

Thanks for your ears. Don.

fyi: the following:

Edited by donfriesen, 20 December 2009 - 10:43 PM.

#8 donfriesen

donfriesen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 06:01 PM

Hi, Doc . I tried the dban trick but got no response at all. Here's what I did: downloaded the dban , unzipped, copied iso file to cd (close to 6 mb), made sure the boot sequence was first to cd , ran the cd in the desktop xp computer with no response after insertion and restart. The monitor returns to the screen which is asking for a alt/ctrl/del key-in to restart and still no response at command prompt line.

Other advice from another forum suggest a boot cd of the recovery disk iso image but this also brought no response.

Thanks for your ears. Don.

fyi: the following from another forum: from "the doctor"
"Since your are resigned to overwriting all of the data on the hard drive, it may be to your advantage to wipe the hard drive clean before attempting to utilize the recovery disk.

DBAN is a special boot CD that can wipe the entire hard drive clean and return it to an unformatted, unpartitioned state.

Simply burn the ISO image to a CD and boot the system from that CD.

If you do not have software that can burn the image to a CD, you can use Image Burn for free.

After wiping the drive clean, try using the recovery disk again.

If you have more than one hard drive in the machine, disconnect the slave drive before using DBAN."

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 06:08 PM

What about the Recovery Console, etc.?

Louis

#10 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:16 PM

unzipped, copied iso file to cd (close to 6 mb),

This is not the phrasing that inspires confidence.

You may want to review the basics of using an ISO image file with a cd burner
http://www.bay-wolf.com/burnimage.htm

#11 donfriesen

donfriesen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:49 PM

reply to Hamluis:

There was a mistake I made in my response . I should have said "recovery console " instead of recovery disk. Sorry for the confusion.

Don.

reply to Ken-in-west- seat: I am an admitted novice. Please pity me. :thumbsup: After downloading and saving the iso file I opened the zipped file to unpack extract the zipped file to ready it for burning. How am I doing so far? I then use roxio creator basic which burns the iso files to cds. Don.

Edited by donfriesen, 20 December 2009 - 11:13 PM.

#12 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:58 AM

as long as you used "record cd from cd image" within roxio, you should be good to go with a bootable disk with files and folders on it like the original boot disk.
http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/burning_iso.html

Making and booting from ISO images files is confusing for everyone until you do it right one time. Then hindsight just makes it embarrassing.

We all start there though. In a text only format like this conversation, we can never tell exactly what someone understands. We have to guess from the words and the context.

The requirements for booting a bootable cd are obviously, a bootable cd, an atapi capable cd rom device and some method to force the bios to read and load the boot sector of the cd.

The last two are pretty much default functions of the bios or bios bootloader, and are unlikely to be damaged and still present a computer that appears functional in any way, so the weak point in the triage is always the creation and testing of the bootable media, followed by setting the bios to read the cd first.

I work extensively with drive image files and optical media for forensic data recovery now. But I remember the struggle I went through figuring out how back when documentation was either not available on the net or written by such hard core nerds it was nearly incomprehensible.

I apologize if I misread your original comments. :thumbsup:

#13 donfriesen

donfriesen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:37 PM

On advice I received I used 'dban' software to wipe my hard drive clean. Then using a recovry disc at the command prompt I type
cd \
attrib -c ntldr
exit
Please note: I placed a space after 'cd', as well as after 'attrib' and '-c'

I don't get a possitive response when I hit 'enter'. 'The parameter is not valid' is the message. Any help would be appreciated.

#14 donfriesen

donfriesen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:41 PM

On advice I received I used 'dban' software to wipe my hard drive clean. Then using a recovry disc at the command prompt I type
cd \
attrib -c ntldr
exit
Please note: I placed a space after 'cd', as well as after 'attrib' and '-c'

I don't get a possitive response when I hit 'enter'. 'The parameter is not valid' is the message. Any help would be appreciated.

#15 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:03 PM

Do you still get the NTLDR is compressed message?

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users