Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need help/tip upgrading my RAM

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 s.j.d.p

s.j.d.p

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 05:26 PM

Hi, i'm planning to upgrade my RAM to 2gb. so i went to crucial's and corsair's site to find out what works best for my PC.
the ram specification that corsair suggested is DDR2-533 (PC2-4200), which is the same with my current ram so i guess this is compatible with my mobo.
But when I went to crucial, they suggested a DDR2-667 ( PC2-5300) type of memory so now i'm confused, which of these 2 is better?

This is my current system info:

emachines W3619

CPU: intel celeron D 360, 3.4ghz, 512kb L2 cache, 533 MHz FSB.

CURRENT RAM: type: DDR2, single channel
size: 512mb
manufacturer: samsung
max bandwidth: PC2-4300 (266 MHz)

MOTHERBOARD: ELITEGROUP 945GCT-M3 (socket 775), intel i945g chipset.

MAXIMUM RAM CAPACITY: 2048

TOTAL SLOTS: 2

DUAL CHANNEL SUPPPORT: yes

Any help/tip is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2009 - 05:41 PM

If your MoBo does not support the extra speed, you need only choose by the price. The faster memory will only run as fast as the MoBo lets it.

You might want to check your BIOS. There may be a BIOS upgrade that could change things.

Memory is usually backward compatible, so faster memory can be substituted for slower but you will not benefit from the extra speed.

Which was cheaper?

DR

#3 s.j.d.p

s.j.d.p
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2009 - 06:28 PM

thanks for the quick reply rigacci

at crucial's site it says: Each of my memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*
About the backward compatible thing. does it mean that, let's say that my mobo supports only up to PC2-4200, i could still put PC2-8500 type of ram but it will only run like a PC2-4200? am i wrong?
Im just an average user, i dont know much about upgrading. i thougt i could just buy any ram and put it in. but i found out that's not the case.
and i dont know how to work with BIOS. i dont wanna change things on it. just to be safe.

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:03 PM

thanks for the quick reply rigacci

at crucial's site it says: Each of my memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*
About the backward compatible thing. does it mean that, let's say that my mobo supports only up to PC2-4200, i could still put PC2-8500 type of ram but it will only run like a PC2-4200? am i wrong?
Im just an average user, i dont know much about upgrading. i thougt i could just buy any ram and put it in. but i found out that's not the case.
and i dont know how to work with BIOS. i dont wanna change things on it. just to be safe.

Nah, forget tweaking the BIOS.

Let's say you buy a DDR2 PC2 6400 stick that runs at 800Mhz. If your motherboard's FSB maxes out at 667Mhz, the new stick will only run at 667Mhz.

In your case, your motherboard's FSB maxes out at 533Mhz, so even if you were to buy a 667Mhz (PC2 5300) or a 800Mhz stick (PC2 6400), it would only run at 533Mhz.
So I suggest you stick to the 533Mhz (PC2 4200) sticks !

Trade in your current memory stick and get this:
Kingston 2GB (1GBX2) PC2 4200 Kit

On the other hand, if you plan to change your motherboard and proccy soon, it would make sense to buy faster memory sticks and have them run at the current speed for now.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 12 December 2009 - 07:05 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#5 s.j.d.p

s.j.d.p
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:17 PM

Thanks ReviverSoft, that made things clearer. i went to best buy, they have kingston PC2-5300 sticks that are backward compatible with PC2-4200. is that a good ram?
and thanks for the link, if i cant get a Pc2-4200 stick at best buy. i would go for it.

thanks everyone.

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:32 PM

Thanks ReviverSoft, that made things clearer. i went to best buy, they have kingston PC2-5300 sticks that are backward compatible with PC2-4200. is that a good ram?
and thanks for the link, if i cant get a Pc2-4200 stick at best buy. i would go for it.

thanks everyone.

Yes it is.
It's also cheaper at Newegg : Kingston 1GB DDR2 667Mhz

Edited by ReviverSoft, 12 December 2009 - 07:33 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:34 PM

Kingston, Crucial, and a host of others are reliable RAM module makers.

Generally, the only time you have to worry about quality...is when you are purchasing/given RAM by a person or via eBay and the issues may not have anything to do with the quality...but whether it's the right RAM for your system.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users