Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 Ultimate RC to Win7 Home Premium Upgrade.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chaoticflame

Chaoticflame

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 05:02 PM

This may seem like a stupid question but I'm just curious. Would it be possible to upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate RC to Windows 7 Home Premium using the Upgrade version disc? I mean, it is two different 'versions' and I can't really afford the full (OEM) version of Win7 HP. Is it possible or do I have to buy the full version?
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:34 PM

It's my generally semi-educated idea that, In order to get the RC you had to have a earlier MS OS on your rig. So now you want to down grade to a different version of 7 that has less to it, but all you need? From my readings of the proper install of upgrade versions, you would need to reinstall you original MS OS. Then apply the new upgrade version you require.
This would remove your ultimate and give a fresh start to apply the 7 prem.(upgrade) to.
Back up any and all you'll want to bring back into the new OS environment, and you should be good to go. This all assumes that you have a previous version of a Microsoft OS that you own?
I would go that rout just so that the time exspired version(ultimate) would be removed and no orphaned files left to mingle with new install of the upgrade.
But again, I'm no Tech, and I hold great reverence for those that know much more than I.
Best wishes.
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

#3 windows.user

windows.user

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 09:31 PM

I don't think RC versions are able to be upgraded. You will need to upgrade via one of the upgradable operating systems that MS allows on their list.

If you do a clean install I think all you have to do is insert the original install disc of that previous op sys to upgrade to whatever version of win 7 you want.

#4 WalkerA_WinTeam

WalkerA_WinTeam

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:57 PM

Is it possible or do I have to buy the full version?

Unfortunately, you cannot upgrade from any edition of the Windows 7 RC to the final release of Windows 7 directly. You'll have to revert back to your previous OS and then perform a clean install. If you started with XP or Vista, you can purchase a Windows 7 Upgrade, but if you started with an earlier version than XP or Vista, you'll have to purchase the full version of Windows 7. Check this out for more clarification: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...asked-questions

This may seem like a stupid question

No such thing :huh:

Good luck and let us know if you're successful!

Cheers,

Walker
Windows Outreach Team

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users