Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AntiMalware

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 MitziNadine

MitziNadine

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 04:57 PM

Hello,

This is totally foreign to me, but I am so thankful I was able to locate this site in a malware search.

My McAfee Antivirus program stopped working so I needed to reinstall it from our ISP Comcast.net. This cannot be done due to some conflicts. Then I found I the Microsoft Update no longer worked either.

I've managed to get the Microsoft Update going again except for the Starlight File (KB974331) which continues to fail installation process. I am most concerned that I cannot re-install McAfee Anti Virus. I looked in the Add/Remove Programs for programs that I didn't recognize where I found a file (AntiMalware) which does not allow me to remove it.

I'm at wit's end working on this for 2 full days and most of last night.

I tried to follow instructions for this process, and hope I've done it correctly so far. It is difficult because this is a laptop without a printer. I may need to move to my desk computer to print the instructions and then come back to this one with the problems.

Thankfully I have downloaded a removal tool from Bleepingcomputer.com and it took some of the problem files out, but this one remains.

Thank you very much for any advice you can give.

MitziNadine

PS: Sorry, I think I did this all wrong. I had a file pasted here, which I think should have been an attachment. I have edited and attempted to add the text now as an attachment - I hope!

Attached Files

Edited by MitziNadine, 12 December 2009 - 05:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:58 AM

hi MitziNadine,

Your post is a few days old. If you still need help simply reply to my post.

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#3 MitziNadine

MitziNadine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:26 PM

Hi Shelf Life,

Thank you lots for your help.

Yes, I still need help.

Thanks,

MitziNadine

#4 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,651 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 07:02 PM

ok. rather than fight the Mcafee problem, there are other options for free antivirus. You dont have to use your ISP's. If you want to then I would check your ISP's web page for possible solutions to the problem.
Getting a working AV installed should be done first, then any other problems next.

If you want to go with different AV. First check your add/remove programs panel for anything Mcafee and uninstall it. Reboot computer and get one of these:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/products/mse.aspx
http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage
http://www.free-av.com/en/download/index.html
http://www.avast.com/

#5 MitziNadine

MitziNadine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:55 PM

Hi Shelf Life,

Thank you for your suggestions.

I'll clear out the McAfee program and download one you've listed.

Thank you,

MitziNadine

#6 MitziNadine

MitziNadine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:40 AM

Hello again, Shelf Life.

Your direction to choose another anti virus program has been successful. I've installed AVG with no problems, then ran a complete scan which shows no infection.

This is very reassuring to once again have anti virus protection.

Thank you for this good advice.

MitziNadine

#7 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,651 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 01:41 PM

hi,

Ok good. You are welcome. If all is good, some information for you;

10 Tips for Reducing/Preventing Your Risk To Malware:

1) It is essential to keep your OS,(Windows) browser (IE, FireFox) and other software up to date to "patch" vulnerabilities that could be exploited. Visit Windows Update frequently or use the auto-update feature. Staying updated is also necessary for web based applications like Java, Adobe Flash/Reader, QuickTime etc. Check there version status here.

2) Know what you are installing to your computer. Alot of software can come bundled with unwanted add-ons, like adware, toolbars and malware. Do not install any files from ads, popups or random links. Do not fall for fake warnings about virus and trojans being found on your computer and your then prompted to install software to remedy this. See also the signs that you may have malware on your computer.

3) Install and keep updated: one antivirus and two or three anti-malware applications. If not updated they will soon be worthless. If these keep finding malware then you should review your computer habits.

4) Refrain from clicking on links or attachments via E-Mail, IM, IRC, Chat Rooms, Blogs or Social Networking Sites, no matter how tempting or legitimate the message may seem. Even if you get a E-Mail from someone you know, its possible that there computer or account information has been compromised and the E-mail is not really from them.

5) Don't click on ads/pop ups or offers from websites requesting that you need to install software, media players or codecs to your computer--for any reason.

6) Don't click on offers to "scan" your computer. Install ActiveX Objects with care. Do you trust the website?

7) Set up and use limited (non-privileged) accounts for everyday use, rather than administrator accounts. Limited accounts can help prevent *malware from installing and lessen its potential impact.*

8) Install and understand the *limitations* of a software firewall.

9) A tool for automatically hardening and securing Internet Explorer 8.0. Requires site registration for downloading. Changes some of the default settings of IE 8.0, Read the FAQ's.

10) Warez, cracks etc are very popular for carrying malware payloads. Using them will cause all kinds of problems. If you install files via p2p networks then you are much more likely to encounter malicious code. Do you trust the source of the file? Do you really need another malware source?

A longer version in link below.

Happy Safe Surfing.

#8 MitziNadine

MitziNadine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 01:58 PM

Thank you, Shelf Life, for your expert direction in solving a frightful problem.

Thank you too for sending extra information, which I shall spend time reading. I am so pleased to have located this site, which has such wonderful help for many. I do hope this site can remain available for a very long time. There is a wealth of information throughout the entire site, and I will be studying much more here.

I really appreciate this.

MitziNadine

PS: I am not sure how important Microsoft Silverlight is, but it still fails to install. The install error is 0x643. I have attempted the uninstall/reinstall routine, but this is not working. Each time I try to Removed the failed copy, I find it in the Add/Remove list and select "Remove", which appears to remove it, but it really doesn't. When I restart the browser, that Starlight still appears in the Add/Remove area.

MitziNadine

Edited by MitziNadine, 25 December 2009 - 06:40 PM.

#9 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,651 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 03:16 PM

hi,

You are right. MS Silverlight is not needed. It is a browser plug-in to "deliver applications and experiences on the Web" It isn't needed for viewing any web pages.
Its still shows in the add/remove programs even though you have uninstalled it?

#10 MitziNadine

MitziNadine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 04:45 PM

Hi Shelf Life,

I'm sorry. I wasn't very clear about the problems.

The Silverlight program was an update from Microsoft Update, but it failed the installation no matter how many times I tried to install it. It must have partially installed as I found a file or folder with that name on it. After having no luck getting it installed, I deleted the only file with that name from program files.

The problem which remains is a program called "AntiMalware" which show up in the Add/Remove programs. I click on it to remove it, but it doesn't allow me to do that. I right-clicked on it, a box appears for Support Info. It lists - Publisher: PC Utility Inc.; Version: 2.8.3538 and with a note,"If this program is not working properly you may reinstall it by clicking "Repair". There is no option to delete and I was afraid to click on "Repair"

Maybe it is a legit program and I possibly should try to reinstall? Since I couldn't remove it, I thought it must be malware.

I will just ignore the problem with Starlight. Thank you for putting my mind at ease on that imagined problem.

Thanks,

MitziNadine

#11 MitziNadine

MitziNadine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:18 PM

Hi again,

I think I may have caused some serious problems with this laptop. I did click on the "AntiMalware" area for "Repair" and another box states that the installation device related to this program is not available. I think that I must have deleted some critical file needed for program installation. I expect that is the reason why I cannot download McAfee.

I have also lost the AVG that I had installed. In trying once more to get McAfee, I deleted the AVG anti virus program. I still couldn't get McAfee to install and now I cannot install AVG either.

I had changed some settings in the Windows Security and allowed exceptions to the Firewall to include McAfee. That didn't work though and now I have turned the Windows Firewall off to allow for easier download. It still doesn't work though. Other computers here have a McAfee Firewall on them and the Windows Firewall is sturned off. I thought turning it off on this laptop would allow McAfee or AVG to install, but it didn't.

I may have to find a way to reinstall Windows. Earlier today, I reinstalled Internet Explorer 8, but it has not fixed the problem.

It appears that I may have escalted a simple problem into a major one.

MitziNadine

#12 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,651 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:40 PM

Hi

We can come back to silverlight. you only need one Antivirus on your computer. the only way you would have removed AVG is via the add/remove programs panel. How do you think you deleted it?
If you want to use Mcafee then you should visit your ISP's web page. If they provide it then they should support it and provide solutions as to why it wont install cleanly.

turned the Windows Firewall off to allow for easier download

There is no need to turn off windows firewall to download a program.

and allowed exceptions to the Firewall to include McAfee
its not necessary

Other computers here have a McAfee Firewall on them and the Windows Firewall is sturned off

The Mcafee suite may include a firewall in which case it would turn off the Windows firewall during the install process.

Please download this tool:

Please download DDS and save it to your desktop.

Double click dds.scr to run the tool. When done, DDS.txt will open.

Save both reports to your desktop.

Copy/paste both logs in your reply.

#13 MitziNadine

MitziNadine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:33 AM

Hi Shelf Life,

Yes, you are right. I had thought I could delete the AVG and then get McAfee back, but still could not. I spent a long time with the ISP support trying - even opened a new email, but even that didn't work.

I finally managed to get the "AntiMalware" program out (I think) by using the Windows uninstall window. I returned to the Add/Remove files, and that site is no longer there.

I tried again to install McAfee, but it failed. AVG did work though, so I have that installed now. I may work with Comcast at a later date and try to find out why I cannot reinstall after all the fixes they suggested today.

After your explanation about the firewall, I turned the Windows Firewall back on again, and it worked just as you said it would.

Thank you for being so patient. I will run the DDS and send those logs in a separate reply as I might lose this one in the process.

Thanks,

MitziNadine

#14 MitziNadine

MitziNadine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:46 AM

Hi,

I copied and pasted both reports below.

Thank you very much for your help.

MitziNadine

DDS (Ver_09-12-01.01) - NTFSx86
Run by Robert J Schultz at 23:39:10.92 on Sat 12/26/2009
Internet Explorer: 8.0.6001.18702
Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600.3.1252.1.1033.18.2038.1355 [GMT -6:00]

AV: AVG Anti-Virus Free *On-access scanning enabled* (Updated) {17DDD097-36FF-435F-9E1B-52D74245D6BF}

============== Running Processes ===============

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k DcomLaunch
svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Quicken\bagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Network Assistant\hnm_svc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k HTTPFilter
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\NICCONFIGSVC\NICCONFIGSVC.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\SeaPort\SeaPort.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\snmp.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtsvc.exe
svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\providerComcast\bin\tgsrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLIDSVC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchIndexer.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLIDSvcM.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgnsx.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgcsrvx.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgchsvx.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgrsx.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgcsrvx.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Robert J Schultz\Desktop\dds.scr

============== Pseudo HJT Report ===============

uStart Page = hxxp://www.comcast.net?cid=121109
uSearch Page = hxxp://www.google.com
uDefault_Page_URL = hxxp://www.msn.com
uWindow Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer
uSearch Bar = hxxp://www.google.com/ie
uInternet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = hxxp://www.google.com/ig/dell?hl=en
mSearchAssistant = hxxp://www.comcast.net/toolbar2.0/search/
uURLSearchHooks: AVG Security Toolbar BHO: {a3bc75a2-1f87-4686-aa43-5347d756017c} - c:\program files\avg\avg9\toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
BHO: {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - No File
BHO: Adobe PDF Link Helper: {18df081c-e8ad-4283-a596-fa578c2ebdc3} - c:\program files\common files\adobe\acrobat\activex\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
BHO: AVG Safe Search: {3ca2f312-6f6e-4b53-a66e-4e65e497c8c0} - c:\program files\avg\avg9\avgssie.dll
BHO: {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - No File
BHO: DriveLetterAccess: {5ca3d70e-1895-11cf-8e15-001234567890} - c:\windows\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
BHO: &Google Web Accelerator Helper: {69a87b7d-de56-4136-9655-716ba50c19c7} - c:\program files\google\web accelerator\GoogleWebAccToolbar.dll
BHO: Search Helper: {6ebf7485-159f-4bff-a14f-b9e3aac4465b} - c:\program files\microsoft\search enhancement pack\search helper\SEPsearchhelperie.dll
BHO: Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper: {9030d464-4c02-4abf-8ecc-5164760863c6} - c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
BHO: AVG Security Toolbar BHO: {a3bc75a2-1f87-4686-aa43-5347d756017c} - c:\program files\avg\avg9\toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
BHO: {af69de43-7d58-4638-b6fa-ce66b5ad205d} - Google Toolbar Notifier BHO
BHO: MSN Toolbar Helper: {d2ce3e00-f94a-4740-988e-03dc2f38c34f} - c:\program files\msn\toolbar\3.0.1203.0\msneshellx.dll
BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper: {dbc80044-a445-435b-bc74-9c25c1c588a9} - c:\program files\java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
BHO: Windows Live Toolbar Helper: {e15a8dc0-8516-42a1-81ea-dc94ec1acf10} - c:\program files\windows live\toolbar\wltcore.dll
BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl Class: {e7e6f031-17ce-4c07-bc86-eabfe594f69c} - c:\program files\java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
TB: Google Web Accelerator: {db87bfa2-a2e3-451e-8e5a-c89982d87cbf} - c:\program files\google\web accelerator\GoogleWebAccToolbar.dll
TB: MSN Toolbar: {1e61ed7c-7cb8-49d6-b9e9-ab4c880c8414} - c:\program files\msn\toolbar\3.0.1203.0\msneshellx.dll
TB: &Windows Live Toolbar: {21fa44ef-376d-4d53-9b0f-8a89d3229068} - c:\program files\windows live\toolbar\wltcore.dll
TB: AVG Security Toolbar: {ccc7a320-b3ca-4199-b1a6-9f516dd69829} - c:\program files\avg\avg9\toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
TB: {C4069E3A-68F1-403E-B40E-20066696354B} - No File
TB: {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - No File
TB: {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-93BE-BE2DF4D9AE29} - No File
TB: {604BC32A-9680-40D1-9AC6-E06B23A1BA4C} - No File
uRun: [ctfmon.exe] c:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe
uRun: [swg] c:\program files\google\googletoolbarnotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
uRun: [QuickenScheduledUpdates] c:\program files\quicken\bagent.exe
uRun: [WMPNSCFG] c:\program files\windows media player\WMPNSCFG.exe
mRun: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "c:\program files\adobe\reader 9.0\reader\Reader_sl.exe"
mRun: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "c:\program files\java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
mRun: [AVG9_TRAY] c:\progra~1\avg\avg9\avgtray.exe
uPolicies-explorer: NoActiveDesktop = 2 (0x2)
uPolicies-explorer: NoRecentDocsNetHood = 0 (0x0)
uPolicies-explorer: NoThumbnailCache = 1 (0x1)
uPolicies-system: Wallpaper =
uPolicies-system: NoSecCPL = 0 (0x0)
uPolicies-system: NoDispAppearancePage = 0 (0x0)
uPolicies-system: NoDispSettingsPage = 0 (0x0)
uPolicies-system: NoDevMgrPage = 0 (0x0)
uPolicies-system: NoConfigPage = 0 (0x0)
uPolicies-system: NoVirtMemPage = 0 (0x0)
uPolicies-system: NoFileSysPage = 0 (0x0)
uPolicies-system: NoNetSetup = 0 (0x0)
uPolicies-system: NoNetSetupIDPage = 0 (0x0)
uPolicies-system: NoNetSetupSecurityPage = 0 (0x0)
uPolicies-system: NoWorkgroupContents = 0 (0x0)
uPolicies-system: NoEntireNetwork = 0 (0x0)
uPolicies-system: NoFileSharingControl = 0 (0x0)
mPolicies-explorer: NoFolderOptions = 00000000
IE: &eBay Search - c:\program files\ebay\ebay toolbar2\eBayTb.dll/RCSearch.html
Trusted Zone: internet
Trusted Zone: mcafee.com
Trusted Zone: musicmatch.com\online
DPF: {05CA9FB0-3E3E-4B36-BF41-0E3A5CAA8CD8} - hxxp://download.microsoft.com/download/6/7/5/675d28f5-2a8e-4bac-bd9b-ee147f352714/OGAControl.cab
DPF: {0742B9EF-8C83-41CA-BFBA-830A59E23533} - hxxps://support.microsoft.com/Dcode/ActiveX/MSDcode.cab
DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} - c:\program files\yahoo!\common\Yinsthelper.dll
DPF: {3DC2E31C-371A-4BD3-9A27-CDF57CE604CF} - hxxp://moneycentral.msn.com/cabs/pmupd806.exe
DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21}
DPF: {5ED80217-570B-4DA9-BF44-BE107C0EC166} - hxxp://cdn.scan.onecare.live.com/resource/download/scanner/wlscbase8942.cab
DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} - hxxp://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1142564913187
DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} - hxxp://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1142710566703
DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_17-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {8FFBE65D-2C9C-4669-84BD-5829DC0B603C} - hxxp://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/ultrashim.cab
DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} - hxxp://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcgdmgr/1,0,0,26/mcgdmgr.cab
DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0014-0002-0003-ABCDEFFEDCBA} - hxxp://java.sun.com/products/plugin/autodl/jinstall-142-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0015-0000-0006-ABCDEFFEDCBA} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.5.0/jinstall-1_5_0_06-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0015-0000-0011-ABCDEFFEDCBA} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.5.0/jinstall-1_5_0_11-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0001-ABCDEFFEDCBA} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_01-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0002-ABCDEFFEDCBA} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_02-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0003-ABCDEFFEDCBA} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_03-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0005-ABCDEFFEDCBA} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_05-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0007-ABCDEFFEDCBA} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_07-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0017-ABCDEFFEDCBA} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_17-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {CAFEEFAC-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-ABCDEFFEDCBA} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_17-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} - hxxp://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - hxxp://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
DPF: {EF791A6B-FC12-4C68-99EF-FB9E207A39E6} - hxxp://download.mcafee.com/molbin/iss-loc/mcfscan/2,2,0,5829/mcfscan.cab
Handler: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - c:\program files\avg\avg9\avgpp.dll
Notify: avgrsstarter - avgrsstx.dll
Notify: igfxcui - igfxdev.dll
SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - c:\windows\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
SEH: Windows Desktop Search Namespace Manager: {56f9679e-7826-4c84-81f3-532071a8bcc5} - c:\program files\windows desktop search\MSNLNamespaceMgr.dll

============= SERVICES / DRIVERS ===============

R1 AvgLdx86;AVG Free AVI Loader Driver x86;c:\windows\system32\drivers\avgldx86.sys [2009-12-26 333192]
R1 AvgMfx86;AVG Free On-access Scanner Minifilter Driver x86;c:\windows\system32\drivers\avgmfx86.sys [2009-12-26 28424]
R1 AvgTdiX;AVG Free Network Redirector;c:\windows\system32\drivers\avgtdix.sys [2009-12-26 360584]
R2 avg9emc;AVG Free E-mail Scanner;c:\program files\avg\avg9\avgemc.exe [2009-12-26 906520]
R2 avg9wd;AVG Free WatchDog;c:\program files\avg\avg9\avgwdsvc.exe [2009-12-26 285392]
R2 fssfltr;FssFltr;c:\windows\system32\drivers\fssfltr_tdi.sys [2009-6-21 55152]
R2 McrdSvc;Media Center Extender Service;c:\windows\ehome\mcrdsvc.exe [2005-8-5 99328]
R2 tgsrvc_providercomcast;SupportSoft Repair Service (providercomcast);c:\program files\providercomcast\bin\tgsrvc.exe [2008-5-2 148768]
S2 0188401259257826mcinstcleanup;McAfee Application Installer Cleanup (0188401259257826); [x]
S2 0258231253128970mcinstcleanup;McAfee Application Installer Cleanup (0258231253128970); [x]
S2 gupdate1ca361cab7e75ba;Google Update Service (gupdate1ca361cab7e75ba);"c:\program files\google\update\googleupdate.exe" /svc --> c:\program files\google\update\GoogleUpdate.exe [?]
S3 fsssvc;Windows Live Family Safety;c:\program files\windows live\family safety\fsssvc.exe [2009-2-6 533360]

=============== Created Last 30 ================

2009-12-27 04:54:45 0 d--h--w- C:\$AVG
2009-12-27 04:54:32 12464 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\avgrsstx.dll
2009-12-27 04:54:29 360584 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\avgtdix.sys
2009-12-27 04:54:23 333192 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\avgldx86.sys
2009-12-27 04:54:18 0 d-----w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\Avg
2009-12-27 04:54:15 0 d-----w- c:\docume~1\alluse~1\applic~1\AVG Security Toolbar
2009-12-27 04:53:55 0 d-----w- c:\docume~1\alluse~1\applic~1\avg9
2009-12-26 18:43:06 0 dc-h--w- c:\windows\ie8
2009-12-26 18:40:18 0 d-----w- C:\7ae1fb5d4810ed9ea4c72c
2009-12-26 17:09:46 0 d-----w- c:\program files\providerComcast
2009-12-25 22:23:20 0 d-----w- c:\program files\Windows Installer Clean Up
2009-12-25 20:22:06 0 d-----w- c:\program files\MSECACHE
2009-12-25 20:17:14 0 d-----w- c:\docume~1\robert~1\applic~1\comcasttb
2009-12-25 02:53:37 0 d-----w- c:\program files\AVG
2009-12-12 18:57:35 0 d-----w- c:\docume~1\robert~1\applic~1\Malwarebytes
2009-12-12 18:57:29 0 d-----w- c:\docume~1\alluse~1\applic~1\Malwarebytes
2009-12-10 19:56:19 0 d-----w- c:\docume~1\robert~1\applic~1\com.nyt.timesreader.78C54164786ADE80CB31E1C5D95607D0938C987A.1
2009-12-07 21:30:15 0 d-----w- c:\docume~1\alluse~1\applic~1\PC Drivers HeadQuarters
2009-11-28 19:41:06 0 d-----w- c:\docume~1\robert~1\applic~1\CallingID
2009-11-28 19:40:48 0 d-----w- c:\program files\CA

==================== Find3M ====================

2009-11-21 15:51:04 471552 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\dllcache\aclayers.dll
2009-10-28 14:40:47 173056 ------w- c:\windows\system32\dllcache\ie4uinit.exe
2009-10-21 05:38:36 75776 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\strmfilt.dll
2009-10-21 05:38:36 75776 ------w- c:\windows\system32\dllcache\strmfilt.dll
2009-10-21 05:38:36 25088 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\httpapi.dll
2009-10-21 05:38:36 25088 ------w- c:\windows\system32\dllcache\httpapi.dll
2009-10-20 16:20:16 265728 ------w- c:\windows\system32\dllcache\http.sys
2009-10-13 10:30:16 270336 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\oakley.dll
2009-10-13 10:30:16 270336 ------w- c:\windows\system32\dllcache\oakley.dll
2009-10-12 13:38:19 149504 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\rastls.dll
2009-10-12 13:38:19 149504 ------w- c:\windows\system32\dllcache\rastls.dll
2009-10-12 13:38:18 79872 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\raschap.dll
2009-10-12 13:38:18 79872 ------w- c:\windows\system32\dllcache\raschap.dll
2009-10-11 10:17:27 411368 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\deploytk.dll
2009-10-10 16:25:22 19968 ----a-w- c:\program files\Medical 2009.xlr
2009-10-02 04:44:07 92160 ------w- c:\windows\system32\dllcache\iecompat.dll
2008-05-29 01:47:45 16896 -c--a-w- c:\program files\Medical 2008.xlr
2008-03-18 03:16:27 20992 -c--a-w- c:\program files\2007 Medical.xlr
2007-12-06 21:04:29 774144 -c--a-w- c:\program files\RngInterstitial.dll
2006-09-18 16:50:07 104 -csh--r- c:\windows\system32\2078C93EB0.sys
2006-04-13 00:29:25 88 -csh--r- c:\windows\system32\B03EC97820.sys
2006-09-18 16:50:07 7518 -csha-w- c:\windows\system32\KGyGaAvL.sys
2009-03-31 23:25:27 245760 -csha-w- c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\ietldcache\index.dat
2008-07-21 19:50:34 32768 -csha-w- c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\local settings\history\history.ie5\mshist012008072120080722\index.dat

============= FINISH: 23:39:53.20 ===============

UNLESS SPECIFICALLY INSTRUCTED, DO NOT POST THIS LOG.
IF REQUESTED, ZIP IT UP & ATTACH IT

DDS (Ver_09-12-01.01)

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Boot Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Install Date: 3/15/2006 4:07:58 PM
System Uptime: 12/26/2009 10:38:49 PM (1 hours ago)

Motherboard: Dell Inc. | | 0FF049
Processor: Genuine Intel® CPU T1300 @ 1.66GHz | Microprocessor | 1662/166mhz

==== Disk Partitions =========================

C: is FIXED (NTFS) - 68 GiB total, 42.833 GiB free.
D: is CDROM ()

==== Disabled Device Manager Items =============

Class GUID: {4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Description: 1394 Net Adapter
Device ID: V1394\NIC1394\19453521384FC000
Manufacturer: Microsoft
Name: 1394 Net Adapter
PNP Device ID: V1394\NIC1394\19453521384FC000
Service: NIC1394

==== System Restore Points ===================

RP737: 11/10/2009 12:29:27 PM - Installed Java™ 6 Update 16
RP738: 11/10/2009 12:36:26 PM - Before Updating
RP739: 11/10/2009 12:37:26 PM - Before Updating
RP740: 11/10/2009 12:41:19 PM - Installed Java™ 6 Update 17
RP741: 11/11/2009 11:14:13 AM - Before Updating
RP742: 11/11/2009 11:18:19 AM - RegCure Backup
RP743: 11/11/2009 11:22:32 AM - Before Updating
RP744: 11/11/2009 11:27:59 AM - Before Updating
RP745: 11/11/2009 11:28:51 AM - Before Updating
RP746: 11/11/2009 11:38:35 AM - Restore Operation
RP747: 11/11/2009 11:44:06 AM - Restore Operation
RP748: 11/13/2009 6:34:46 PM - RegCure Backup
RP749: 11/13/2009 6:49:01 PM - Installed Adobe Reader 9.1.
RP750: 11/13/2009 6:54:46 PM - Before Updating
RP751: 11/13/2009 6:55:11 PM - Before Updating
RP752: 11/14/2009 10:25:47 PM - RegCure Backup
RP753: 11/14/2009 10:41:30 PM - Installed Adobe Reader 9.1.
RP754: 11/14/2009 10:46:30 PM - Before Updating
RP755: 11/14/2009 10:49:50 PM - Before Updating
RP756: 11/14/2009 11:27:29 PM - RegCure Backup
RP757: 11/20/2009 11:44:39 AM - System Checkpoint
RP758: 11/23/2009 10:30:28 AM - RegCure Backup
RP759: 11/23/2009 10:50:13 AM - Installed Adobe Reader 9.1.
RP760: 11/23/2009 11:18:14 AM - Installed Adobe Reader 9.2.
RP761: 11/23/2009 5:44:55 PM - Before Updating
RP762: 11/23/2009 5:52:46 PM - Installed Adobe Reader 9.1.
RP763: 11/23/2009 5:53:03 PM - Before Updating
RP764: 11/23/2009 5:53:33 PM - Before Updating
RP765: 11/25/2009 1:31:36 PM - System Checkpoint
RP766: 11/26/2009 8:52:27 AM - Removed McAfee Virtual Technician
RP767: 11/26/2009 8:52:59 AM - Installed McAfee Virtual Technician
RP768: 11/26/2009 9:10:36 AM - Before Updating
RP769: 11/26/2009 9:23:34 AM - Installed Adobe Reader 9.1.
RP770: 11/26/2009 5:35:50 PM - RegCure Backup
RP771: 11/27/2009 10:16:59 AM - Before Updating
RP772: 11/27/2009 10:26:48 AM - Before Updating
RP773: 11/27/2009 10:30:19 AM - Before Updating
RP774: 11/27/2009 10:31:39 AM - Before Updating
RP775: 11/28/2009 2:26:47 PM - System Checkpoint
RP776: 11/28/2009 3:58:16 PM - Removed McAfee Virtual Technician
RP777: 11/28/2009 3:59:30 PM - Installed McAfee Virtual Technician
RP778: 11/29/2009 11:18:36 AM - Removed McAfee Virtual Technician
RP779: 11/30/2009 7:16:48 PM - Before Updating
RP780: 11/30/2009 7:17:25 PM - Before Updating
RP781: 12/2/2009 6:57:13 PM - Installed McAfee Virtual Technician
RP782: 12/6/2009 10:27:10 PM - Installed Adobe Reader 9.1.
RP783: 12/7/2009 3:26:57 PM - Installed Driver Detective.
RP784: 12/8/2009 8:14:38 PM - Before Updating
RP785: 12/11/2009 9:26:55 AM - ADVANCED REGISTRY OPTIMIZER - FIRST RUN
RP786: 12/11/2009 9:30:16 AM - Advanced Registry Optimizer Fri, Dec 11, 09 09:30
RP787: 12/11/2009 9:31:16 AM - Before Updating
RP788: 12/11/2009 9:46:43 AM - Installed Adobe Reader 9.1.
RP789: 12/11/2009 9:47:12 AM - Before Updating
RP790: 12/11/2009 12:58:29 PM - Removed Bing Maps 3D
RP791: 12/11/2009 12:59:38 PM - Removed Bonjour
RP792: 12/11/2009 12:59:57 PM - Removed Broadcom Management Programs
RP793: 12/11/2009 1:00:21 PM - Removed CA Pest Patrol Realtime Protection
RP794: 12/11/2009 1:02:38 PM - Removed Google Toolbar for Firefox
RP795: 12/11/2009 1:02:49 PM - Removed Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer
RP796: 12/11/2009 1:05:12 PM - Removed Google Web Accelerator
RP797: 12/11/2009 1:10:09 PM - Removed McAfee Virtual Technician
RP798: 12/11/2009 1:51:42 PM - Installed McAfee Virtual Technician
RP799: 12/11/2009 1:52:43 PM - Installed McAfee Virtual Technician
RP800: 12/11/2009 1:54:22 PM - Installed McAfee Virtual Technician
RP801: 12/11/2009 3:10:20 PM - Before Updating
RP802: 12/11/2009 3:13:47 PM - Removed Reg Tool
RP803: 12/11/2009 7:43:21 PM - Installed McAfee Virtual Technician
RP804: 12/11/2009 7:46:18 PM - Installed McAfee Virtual Technician
RP805: 12/11/2009 10:45:43 PM - Installed McAfee Virtual Technician
RP806: 12/11/2009 11:48:15 PM - Installed McAfee Virtual Technician
RP807: 12/12/2009 10:21:51 AM - Software Distribution Service 3.0
RP808: 12/12/2009 10:24:14 AM - Software Distribution Service 3.0
RP809: 12/12/2009 10:35:59 AM - Software Distribution Service 3.0
RP810: 12/12/2009 10:36:44 AM - Software Distribution Service 3.0
RP811: 12/12/2009 10:50:45 AM - Installed McAfee Virtual Technician
RP812: 12/12/2009 10:51:31 AM - Software Distribution Service 3.0
RP813: 12/12/2009 10:52:40 AM - Software Distribution Service 3.0
RP814: 12/12/2009 1:11:27 PM - Software Distribution Service 3.0
RP815: 12/12/2009 1:33:34 PM - Installed McAfee Virtual Technician
RP816: 12/13/2009 9:04:27 AM - Software Distribution Service 3.0
RP817: 12/14/2009 9:49:51 AM - Software Distribution Service 3.0
RP818: 12/14/2009 4:12:17 PM - Software Distribution Service 3.0
RP819: 12/15/2009 10:15:39 AM - Software Distribution Service 3.0
RP820: 12/17/2009 12:15:33 PM - Software Distribution Service 3.0
RP821: 12/24/2009 12:17:14 PM - Software Distribution Service 3.0
RP822: 12/24/2009 8:53:35 PM - Installed AVG Free 9.0
RP823: 12/25/2009 8:22:22 AM - Software Distribution Service 3.0
RP824: 12/25/2009 10:06:44 AM - Avg8 Update
RP825: 12/25/2009 1:46:03 PM - Software Distribution Service 3.0
RP826: 12/25/2009 2:22:38 PM - Installed Windows Installer Clean Up
RP827: 12/25/2009 2:38:10 PM - Removed Windows Installer Clean Up
RP828: 12/25/2009 2:40:55 PM - Removed Microsoft Silverlight
RP829: 12/25/2009 4:23:18 PM - Installed Windows Installer Clean Up
RP830: 12/25/2009 4:28:29 PM - Removed Microsoft Silverlight
RP831: 12/25/2009 5:12:03 PM - Removed Microsoft Silverlight
RP832: 12/26/2009 9:56:20 AM - Removed AVG Free 9.0
RP833: 12/26/2009 9:57:59 AM - Installed AVG Free 9.0
RP834: 12/26/2009 10:33:42 AM - Removed Driver Detective.
RP835: 12/26/2009 10:51:45 AM - Installed McAfee Virtual Technician
RP836: 12/26/2009 11:09:44 AM - Installed Comcast User Setup
RP837: 12/26/2009 12:14:10 PM - Installed McAfee Virtual Technician
RP838: 12/26/2009 12:44:46 PM - Installed Windows Internet Explorer 8.
RP839: 12/26/2009 12:46:08 PM - Software Distribution Service 3.0
RP840: 12/26/2009 12:52:43 PM - Software Distribution Service 3.0
RP841: 12/26/2009 4:19:19 PM - Installed AVG Free 9.0
RP842: 12/26/2009 4:33:05 PM - Installed AVG Free 9.0
RP843: 12/26/2009 10:51:12 PM - Installed AVG Free 9.0
RP844: 12/26/2009 10:53:54 PM - Installed AVG Free 9.0

==== Installed Programs ======================

Acrobat.com
Adobe AIR
Adobe Download Manager
Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX
Adobe Reader 9
Adobe® Photoshop® Album Starter Edition 3.2
AOLIcon
Apple Software Update
AVG Free 9.0
Choice Guard
Comcast User Setup
Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem
Critical Update for Windows Media Player 11 (KB959772)
Dell Network Assistant
Dell Support Center (Support Software)
Dell System Restore
Dell Wireless WLAN Card
DellSupport
Digital Content Portal
Digital Line Detect
ELIcon
Google Earth
Google Update Helper
High Definition Audio Driver Package - KB835221
Hotfix for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 (KB932471)
Hotfix for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB953595)
Hotfix for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB958484)
Hotfix for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB947864)
Hotfix for Windows Media Format 11 SDK (KB929399)
Hotfix for Windows Media Player 10 (KB903157)
Hotfix for Windows Media Player 11 (KB939683)
Hotfix for Windows XP (KB915800-v4)
Hotfix for Windows XP (KB952287)
Hotfix for Windows XP (KB954708)
Hotfix for Windows XP (KB961118)
Hotfix for Windows XP (KB970653-v3)
Hotfix for Windows XP (KB976098-v2)
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver
iTunes
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 11
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_03
Java™ 6 Update 17
Java™ 6 Update 2
Java™ 6 Update 3
Java™ 6 Update 5
Java™ 6 Update 7
Java™ SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1
Junk Mail filter update
Macromedia Flash Player
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB928366)
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
Microsoft Application Error Reporting
Microsoft Base Smart Card Cryptographic Service Provider Package
Microsoft Compression Client Pack 1.0 for Windows XP
Microsoft Digital Image Library 9
Microsoft Digital Image Pro 9
Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia Standard 2003
Microsoft Internationalized Domain Names Mitigation APIs
Microsoft Kernel-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack 1.5
Microsoft National Language Support Downlevel APIs
Microsoft Office Live Add-in 1.4
Microsoft Plus! Digital Media Edition Installer
Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack
Microsoft Streets and Trips 2004
Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime Native v1.0 (x86)
Microsoft Sync Framework Services Native v1.0 (x86)
Microsoft Text-to-Speech Engine 4.0 (English)
Microsoft User-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack 1.0
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 ATL Update kb973924 - x86 9.0.30729.4148
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.17
Microsoft Word 2002
Microsoft Works 2003 Setup Launcher
Microsoft Works 7.0
Microsoft Works Suite Add-in for Microsoft Word
Monopoly Here & Now Edition
Move Media Player
MSN
MSN Toolbar
MSVCRT
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB925672)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB973688)
MSXML 6.0 Parser (KB933579)
Musicmatch for Windows Media Player
Musicmatch® Jukebox
NetWaiting
OpenOffice.org Installer 1.0
Otto
PowerDVD 5.7
Quicken 2009
Quicken WillMaker Plus 2009
QuickSet
QuickTime
RealArcade
Rhapsody Player Engine
Safari
Security Update for CAPICOM (KB931906)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB928090)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB929969)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB931768)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB933566)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB937143)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB938127)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB939653)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB942615)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB944533)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB950759)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB953838)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB956390)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB961260)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB971961)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB976325)
Security Update for Windows Media Player (KB952069)
Security Update for Windows Media Player (KB968816)
Security Update for Windows Media Player (KB973540)
Security Update for Windows Media Player 10 (KB911565)
Security Update for Windows Media Player 10 (KB917734)
Security Update for Windows Media Player 11 (KB936782)
Security Update for Windows Media Player 11 (KB954154)
Security Update for Windows Search 4 - KB963093
Security Update for Windows XP (KB923561)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB938464)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB941569)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB946648)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB950760)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB950762)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB950974)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951066)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376-v2)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951698)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB952004)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB952954)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB953839)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB954211)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB954459)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB954600)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB955069)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB956391)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB956572)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB956744)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB956802)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB956803)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB956841)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB956844)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB957095)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB957097)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB958644)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB958687)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB958690)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB958869)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB959426)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB960225)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB960715)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB960803)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB960859)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB961371)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB961373)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB961501)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB968537)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB969898)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB969947)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB970238)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB970430)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB971557)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB971633)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB971657)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB973346)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB973354)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB973507)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB973525)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB973869)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB973904)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB974318)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB974392)
Segoe UI
Shockwave
Sonic Audio module
Sonic DLA
Sonic Encoders
Sonic MyDVD LE
Sonic RecordNow Copy
Sonic RecordNow Data
Sonic Update Manager
Synaptics Pointing Device Driver
Times Reader
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB963707)
Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB975364)
Update for Windows Media Player 10 (KB910393)
Update for Windows Media Player 10 (KB913800)
Update for Windows XP (KB943729)
Update for Windows XP (KB951072-v2)
Update for Windows XP (KB951618-v2)
Update for Windows XP (KB951978)
Update for Windows XP (KB955759)
Update for Windows XP (KB955839)
Update for Windows XP (KB961503)
Update for Windows XP (KB967715)
Update for Windows XP (KB968389)
Update for Windows XP (KB971737)
Update for Windows XP (KB973687)
Update for Windows XP (KB973815)
Update Rollup 2 for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
WebCyberCoach 3.2 Dell
WebFldrs XP
Webshots Desktop
Winamp Essentials Pack v5.32
Windows Driver Package - Ricoh Company (rimsptsk) hdc (11/14/2006 6.00.01.04)
Windows Imaging Component
Windows Installer Clean Up
Windows Internet Explorer 8
Windows Live Call
Windows Live Communications Platform
Windows Live Essentials
Windows Live Family Safety
Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant
Windows Live Mail
Windows Live Messenger
Windows Live OneCare safety scanner
Windows Live Photo Gallery
Windows Live Sync
Windows Live Toolbar
Windows Live Upload Tool
Windows Live Writer
Windows Media Connect
Windows Media Format 11 runtime
Windows Media Player 10
Windows Media Player 10 Hotfix - KB895316
Windows Media Player 10 Hotfix [See EmeraldQFE2 for more information]
Windows Media Player 11
Windows Presentation Foundation
Windows Rights Management Client Backwards Compatibility SP2
Windows Rights Management Client with Service Pack 2
Windows Search 4.0
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 KB908246
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 KB925766
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 KB973768
Windows XP Service Pack 3
WinImage
Works Suite OS Pack

==== Event Viewer Messages From Past Week ========

12/25/2009 5:08:25 PM, error: DCOM [10005] - DCOM got error "%1058" attempting to start the service upnphost with arguments "" in order to run the server: {204810B9-73B2-11D4-BF42-00B0D0118B56}
12/25/2009 2:50:07 PM, error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service service depends on the Universal Plug and Play Device Host service which failed to start because of the following error: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
12/25/2009 2:50:00 PM, error: Service Control Manager [7023] - The Uninterruptible Power Supply service terminated with the following error: %%2481
12/25/2009 2:50:00 PM, error: Service Control Manager [7000] - The Google Update Service (gupdate1ca361cab7e75ba) service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the path specified.
12/25/2009 2:49:38 PM, error: UPS [2481] - The UPS service is not configured correctly.
12/25/2009 1:46:41 PM, error: Windows Update Agent [20] - Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB974331).

==== End Of File ===========================

#15 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,651 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 04:51 PM

hi,

Trying to get Mcafee to install isnt worth the aggravation, at least to me. Mcafee has nothing over AVG. There are to many other options for antivirus to fight with one that wont install for whatever reason. Up to you. Since AVG is installed and functioning- I would go with it or one of the other links I posted, but you only need one AV per machine.

Silverlight is also not needed. It has a uninstall option in the add/remove programs panel and i dont see it there so it must not be installed.

Antimalware software: you can have more than one of those. AVG has one built into it. I also suggest Malwarebytes. Looks like you had it installed at one time. this looks like a leftover from the uninstall:

c:\docume~1\robert~1\applic~1\Malwarebytes

The free version must be updated manually and is a on demand scanner meaning it will only scan your computer for malware when you start it and click the Scanner tab. Also notice the update tab. Always check for updates before a scan. The paid version has auto updates and 'real time protection' that runs in the background.
Not sure how you are removing stuff but always use the add/remove programs panel to uninstall software. A reboot after a uninstall wouldn't hurt either. Its also possible for some traces of the software to be left behind like in the case of malwarebytes above. This is normal and harmless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users