Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio, video and mouse stuttering

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 commanderblake

commanderblake

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 04:54 PM

Hello,

About a week ago, I began having problems with my audio and video. When I would watch a video on youtube or play a song from Media Player or iTunes, it would momentarily pause every second. Obviously this is a frustrating problem. Also, my mouse and keyboard stutter at this same interval. The letters I type do get typed out but they have to catch up so to speak where they don't get typed out as soon as I press them. This all happens as soon as I start my system and the timing never changes; the stutter occurs every second- I've even timed it out to be one stutter per second.

I did a system restore to an earlier time and nothing improved- I checked for updates, and checked to make sure that my ATA/ATAPI Devices were in DMA Mode at the suggestion of another forum where a person with similar problems solved theirs. Here is the procedure: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

But this didn't do anything for me either. I've run multiple MBAM scans, my other virus program (NOD 32) and Spybot, but nothing came up. The only other thing I can think of is that whenever I start up my computer, the black screen at the beginning says that it can't detect an AC power source. I'm assuming that this means that my battery is dead (I have a laptop). If the power cord gets unplugged, even if for a second, the entire computer just dies. The computer worked fine even with this power error message, so that's why I think that I just need a new battery and these problems with the stuttering are an unrelated problem.

Either way, I'm turning this one over to the experts! Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:29 PM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of the stuttering.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all the categories.

If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 commanderblake

commanderblake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:48 PM

Hi Budapest,

About a day or so after posting my original message my computer stopped having these problems. Even the battery would work for about 30 mins after the laptop was unplugged.

Within the last 2 or 3 days, however, my computer has been doing the exact same things as before with the jumpy graphics, sounds and video. So I did the things you asked me to do before and here is what I found. There were a number of repeating entries so I only included the ones that didnít repeat.

Application

Unable to read the performance counter strings of the 009 language ID. The Win32 status returned by the call is the first DWORD in Data section.

Unloading the performance counter strings for service WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl) failed. The Error code is the first DWORD in Data section.

Performance counter shared memory setup failed with error -1. Reinstall sqlctr.ini for this instance, and ensure that the instance login account has correct registry permissions.

Error in mapping SQL Server performance object/counter indexes to object/counter names. SQL Server performance counters are disabled.

Services

The Application Layer Gateway Service service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

The IP address lease 10.0.1.5 for the Network Card with network address 001B77231279 has been denied by the DHCP server 0.0.0.0 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

Thanks for your help!

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:33 PM

I'm not sure those errors are related to your problem but you could try reinstalling the SQL Server.

It would be a good idea to open up the Task Manager and have a close look at the CPU usage when this stuttering occurs.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 commanderblake

commanderblake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 12:58 AM

I watched the CPU usage and it definitely peaks when the stutter happens. However, when I watch a video by itself, only the video stutters- the audio is fine and then the video stops for a second and catches up and basically fast forwards through the video. While I'm typing this on another tab with a youtube video running it stutters with both video and audio as I type at a regular interval of about 10 seconds.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:27 AM

Which process is using high CPU when it "peaks"?

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users