Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Personal Guard 2009 virus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sidd0123

sidd0123

• Banned
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 02:26 PM

Hi, I am new to bleeping computer. I recently found out that I have a virus that calls itself Personal Guard 2009. I've seen it on my computer, but became suspicious about it when my antivirus systems stopped functioning.

I have tried the following to get rid of it:

1) remove its registry. [I removed this through another site that showed me how to delete this registry, but I'm not sure it worked and I didn't want to screw something up with my computer so I stopped this approach.]

2) Physically search through desktop and delete its files. [I did that but malwarebytes still won't install]

3) downloaded a program called rkill.exe that runs through the command prompt and tries to delete PG2009 [PG2009 shutsdown the executable file before it can delete PG2009]

4) Tried running microsoft virus scan, trend micro housecall, mcafee, and malwarebytes, [most of these dont even start a scan. malwarebytes wont even install, and mcafee wont get rid of the problem, but it runs.]

5) tried to start in safe mode [the blue screen comes up with a system error and when i start normally, i get some error about logon.exe saying another program is already using this program and can't open . PG2009 is my best guess]

I do not know how to work hijack this, but first are there any other approaches short of reinstalling my computer to fix this problem.

thanks

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum, precluding the need for reposting as suggested. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 02:30 PM

Please post your problem in the Security, Am I Infected? What do I do? forum.

The guys there can give you assistance with your problems.

#3 sidd0123

sidd0123
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2009 - 02:31 PM

Hey guys, I was wondering if I could download malware bytes on to a flash drive, install it on my flash drive and run it from my flash drive. I do have a antivirus system that protects my flash drive and maybe PG2009 might not be able to get in while i run malwarebytes.

Is this a good idea

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,782 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 04:10 PM

Take a look here: How to remove Personal Guard 2009 (Uninstall Guide)

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 sidd0123

sidd0123
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:11 PM

I already have tried the bleepingcomputer removal guide, but i got stuck on the part that said download and install malwarebytes. PG2009 wouldn't let me install the antimalware program

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:18 PM

I was wondering if I could download malware bytes on to a flash drive

Yes, by all means
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users