Posted 12 December 2009 - 02:26 PM
Hi, I am new to bleeping computer. I recently found out that I have a virus that calls itself Personal Guard 2009. I've seen it on my computer, but became suspicious about it when my antivirus systems stopped functioning.
I have tried the following to get rid of it:
1) remove its registry. [I removed this through another site that showed me how to delete this registry, but I'm not sure it worked and I didn't want to screw something up with my computer so I stopped this approach.]
2) Physically search through desktop and delete its files. [I did that but malwarebytes still won't install]
3) downloaded a program called rkill.exe that runs through the command prompt and tries to delete PG2009 [PG2009 shutsdown the executable file before it can delete PG2009]
4) Tried running microsoft virus scan, trend micro housecall, mcafee, and malwarebytes, [most of these dont even start a scan. malwarebytes wont even install, and mcafee wont get rid of the problem, but it runs.]
5) tried to start in safe mode [the blue screen comes up with a system error and when i start normally, i get some error about logon.exe saying another program is already using this program and can't open . PG2009 is my best guess]
I do not know how to work hijack this, but first are there any other approaches short of reinstalling my computer to fix this problem.
Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum, precluding the need for reposting as suggested. ~ Animal