Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Whataturk

Whataturk

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 14 August 2005 - 01:00 AM

Hi All,
Just hoping for some advice...

I am in the market for some extra storage space. I have a laptop and would like to get an external hard drive (preferably around 200Gb with a USB and firewire port or two firewire ports so that I can capture Digital Video from my camcorder). I was thinking about doing one of two things:
A. Getting a preassembled unit on Ebay (I am living in Brazil and can't order the parts separately to do it myself...)

B. Ordering an internal drive and external enclosure and having a friend assemble the drive in the States and ship it to me.

Does anyone have any experience with the units on Ebay?
Does anyone have any affordable external enclosure suggestions?

I would REALLY appreciate any help or advice,
Thanks

http://computers.listings.ebay.com/Drives-...ListingItemList

Edited by Whataturk, 14 August 2005 - 01:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 15 August 2005 - 04:06 PM

Get what you want from eBay so long as it is from a 'reputable' manufacturer. Even a re-manufactured one would be acceptable for the right price in my opinion. Maxtor, Iomega, etc.

I would not recommend trying to assemble your own usb/firewire drive from a kit or ?? The savings could not be worth the hassle; external drives are at a pretty cheap price per GB these days.

#3 Whataturk

Whataturk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 16 August 2005 - 01:31 AM

Thanks for the advice Pchartwell!
I came across this device tonight and am seriously considering buying...
What do you think?
Ebay Item #5797448088
or (not sure if the link will work...)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...mMakeTrack=true
It seems like this might be what I'm looking for...I've heard good things about the Oxford Chipset...and the price seems right...
Any thoughts?
Thanks...

#4 Digitaldoc

Digitaldoc

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 14 March 2006 - 11:01 AM

I've been using Iomega for decades it seems. However, my latest external 250 Gig USB HD is fraught with problems with the Iomega Backup Pro software.

Livesystems.exe (the program) is constantly conflicting with ntdll.dl and crashing my backup. Tech support has no viable remedy other than to disable all programs in msconfig and hope to find a conflict. I only run what is necessary in msconfig so disabling is not viable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users