Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Problem.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Leosageheart

Leosageheart

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:18 PM

Okay, basically my video card seems to go offline and stop responding while doing high-end graphics. It failed the Stability test and just freezes the screen to where I must turn the computer off to get it to do anything at all. It seems to happen when the video card is being used the most (i.e. game graphics, etc).
3d
CPU: AMD Phenom™II X4 940 Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
HDD: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX295 X2 1.7GB 16X PCIe Video Card
MOTHERBOARD: Asus M3N72-D AMD 750a SLI Chipset DDR2/1066 SATA PCI-Express MBoard w/Video,GbLAN,USB2.0,&7.1Audio
POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts Power Supplies (CyberPowerPC XF800S Performance ATX 2.0 Power - Quad SLI Ready)
COOLING: CoolIT Domino A.L.C. Advanced Liquid Cooling System for CPUs with Intuitive & Easily Accessible User Controls & Display
MEMORY: 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Mushkin High Performance II (HP2) w/ Heat Spreader)

I've had problems with it since I ordered it. The PC company (CyberPowerPC) has replaced the card, had me ship it back to California so they could replace the card again. Nothing they are doing seems to work. They've stopped returning my phone calls now.

Is it possible that my PSU is to low? If so, any suggestions on which type I should buy?

Edit: Forgot RAM.

Edited by Leosageheart, 12 December 2009 - 01:21 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 09:05 PM

Sounds like an overheating problem. I assume the cooling fan is spinning up on the card(s). I once replaced an ATI card three times because the cards they were sending me were "refurbished" instead of new. Ended up buying an NVIDIA.

You could install Core Temp to check your processor temps: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

It also could be the PSU is going south. Why not invest in a PSU tester, you can get one from TigerDirect for $20 and have it in case you need one in the future. Might be a wiser investment than just purchasing a new PSU and hoping that is the problem.

Is this PC still under warranty? If so, I would keep calling until they answered and made things right, or load it up and drive to California, whatever it takes.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:51 AM

If its under warranty keep calling and keep posting. No company wants to be flamed on the internet keep us posted to whats going on. On a side note they also my be VERY busy since its the holiday season they could be experiencing a surge in orders. I am not sure how large the company is.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users