1) Problem started with a virus with the following symptoms:
- persistent program failure message - some google program that had been disabled
- AVG anti-virus software is somehow disabled
- security center service is disabled
- occasional popups
2) uninstalled AVG and try to re-install, keeps failing (at a point where the service needs to be started)
3) tried downloading and running various tools - kept blocking, these, eventually, figured out that these can be installed and run ONLY BY RENAMING the exe - the malware seem to know the more popular names
4) Finally was able to rename install program install and rename exe and then run following:
a) Malwarebytes' ANti-Malware - this worked to remove 3-4 viruses, including some 'Root-kit' stuff
- I thought I was good to go but no such luck....I still see the iexplore task in the background (task manager) running like crazy going to sites and issuing search commands such as:
This is one of about 5-6 websites that this background iexpore task keeps hitting, occassionally sound.
5) Since then have run IBM's Malicious Software removal Tool AND SuperAntiSpyware
- both have identified 1-2 viruses, quarantined all
- All three programs now report NO malware
- Darn IEXPLORE STILL RUNS IN THE BACKGROUND
- UNABLE to permanently enable security center service
- UNABLE to install AVG or MS Security Essentials - looks like it is being blocked by Anti-Virus
Placing all the web sites in the blocked list in IE privacy tab does nothing... I had to block these by redirecting them in the hosts file.
I am at my wits end.... all these programs say no problem, but there obviously is a problem....next steps
Also tried running Win32kDiag - it fails with "Could not get backup privileges"
Edited by Orange Blossom, 12 December 2009 - 08:32 PM.
Deactivate link. ~ OB