Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop HD conversion to external HD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Doopy

Doopy

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:36 AM

My laptop died a few weeks ago and I'm back to my old desktop confuser. I have removed the laptop HD and I am trying to install it into a new HD USB case.

I stopped at Staples yesterday an purchased a VERIS MX-25 2.5" hard drive USB enclosure for SATA application. Very nice little kit.

My HD is a Fujitsu model MHV2100BH PL (250 gig I think) and it is clearly marked with a Serial ATA symbol. I assume (there's that scary word) that that is SATA.

The pin alignment between the HD and the enclosure adapter appears to be perfect but the male pins on my HD are twice the size of the female openings on the adapter. There is no way that the HD will plug into the adapter.

Can anyone shed some light on this situation? Is there another type of enclosure kit that I should have?

Thanks, Doopy

Edited by Doopy, 12 December 2009 - 11:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,747 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:55 AM

http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews/storag...q-hdd-enclosure

If the above is what you have...you have an enclosure which accommodates a SATA notebook drive.

So the question is...do you have a SATA notebook drive? According to http://www.fel.fujitsu.com/support/disk/ma...duct_manual.pdf, you have a 100GB SATA drive.

You say "pin alignment"...there are no pins to align on a SATA drive. The connectors can only fit in one pattern.

PATA drives have pins viewable within their connections.

Post a screenshot of what you have, please.

Louis

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 05:30 PM

It is also very common for laptop manufacturers to use an adaptor for the hard drives but I have only seen them with IDE drives, not SATA.

You would just need to pry the adaptor off, carefully.

DR

#4 Doopy

Doopy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2009 - 10:43 PM

rigacci hit the nail on the head. There was a small adapter plug on the HD that the laptop mfg. put on to adapt to the computer. All I had to do was to pry the adapter off and the HD slid into place perfectly. Thanks folks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users