Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xbox FTP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 14 August 2005 - 12:47 AM

Hello, Im trying to ftp my xbox to my computer but for some reason it doesnt work. Im using a cross over cable so i dont have to go through the trouble with routers and what not.. Strange thing though. When i connect the cable to the back of my xbox and into my network card, i get not response from my computer, my network settings says "network cable is unplugged".I know a light should come on when a live connection is plugged into an ethernet port. Now, i know that this cable isnt bad because i hooked my modem up with it and the light came on in the port and i was able to connect to the internet with no problem.. Im running my modem with usb, but it has an ethernet option, as most do. I've done everything i know, updating my drivers for the network card, rolling back the drivers.. When i do that, or when i disable/enable the drive it gets connected for about a second, then says the network cable is unplugged. I've tried to connect the ethernet in my modem while my modem was connected to the computer via usb, it worked once, but only for pinging. I was not able to connect with an ftp client. Now when i tried to do it again, i get not response.. Does anyone know what to do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2005 - 08:56 AM

Now, i know that this cable isnt bad because i hooked my modem up with it and the light came on in the port and i was able to connect to the internet with no problem..

If that cable works in this situation it is not a crossover cable, its a regular cat5 cable.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2005 - 12:11 PM

thats odd.. The guy that sold it to me assured me it was a cross over cable.. Some people..

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 15 August 2005 - 06:12 PM

you DO need a x-over cable bud. you also have to specify an ip address in--
A-your computer
B-your x-box
you can do this in your network settings on your xbox, same as computer. believe it or not, it would have been a hell of a lot easier to plug it into your router if you had one, then cable wouldn't have mattered, and you wouldn't have to specify an ip address for your computer, however you would still have had to do it for the xbox
have fun
dave
PS, use 192.168.1.50 and 192.168.1.51
sn 255.255.255.0
ping the xbox from computer firsat to test path, type this into your "dos prompt" upon opening it up
"ping 192.168.1.5(0or1)"
you want to see 4 replies
have more fun
dave
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users