Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Access Cascading List Questions

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 YoungbloodMom

YoungbloodMom

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 09:45 AM

I am a complete noob at Access (prior Filemaker usage... but alas, cannot find disk to install)...

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I want a report or form (not sure which is the best way to do this) where a teacher could choose a subject, then a grade, and get a list of the corresponding educational standards for that particular subject and grade. The teacher could then select multiple standards to add to a report. Ideally, I'd like to be able to allow the teachers to select standards from more than one area (not at the same time) and add them to the same report.

Basically, I'm trying to find a quick way to create a lesson plan form that allows for multiple standards to be added without having to cut and paste from Word or Excel.

All my information is in one looooooong table with columns (fields?) for Subject, Grade, StandardID, and Standard Txt.

I think that cascading boxes is what I want to use to accomplish this.

Here are my questions:
1. Do I need to split my table up to make this work?
2. Am I right in thinking cascading boxes are what I should use?
3. If so, how do I make each box populate based on the selection made in a previous box?
4. Am I insane to think I could do this?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Here's a link to the file to download: http://www.box.net/shared/1kc69ts1s5 I couldn't figure out a way to just upload it or attach it (man, I feel kinda stupid right now...).

Thanks,
Amanda Y

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users