Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

slow computer, everything freezing up.....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Faded Picture

Faded Picture

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 09:20 AM

i hope im posting this in the right place, if not, sorry.

but for a week now, i have been having trouble with my computer freezing up and being REALLY slow, like not just the internet, desktop and other things on my computer start up slow too. it doesnt freeze upp too much, but enough to get on your nurves.

i have not downloaded anything new in the past few days, and i have done a virus scan with avast, which is what i use, and that antimalware thing, and also super anti spyware or whatever its called and the only thing that shows up are a few cookies on the super anti spyware, and i fix those, and it still does the same thing., other than that, nothing else shows up.

im really confused, because if it was my internet provider, my desktop wouldnt be slow too. so can someone please help me? i dont now what to do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 10:02 AM

Try this..... When you turn your computer on hit ctrl+alt+delete to open task manager. Check your CPU useage and see if there are any processes running that look odd or are taking up a lot of resources. Let us know what you find....

Also, have you tried going in to safemode to see if you have the same problem? To get in to safemode gently tap F8 as the computer reboots. Select safemode with networking from the options.
DJ Digital Gem

I gave up on computers and now I just DJ!

#3 Faded Picture

Faded Picture
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2009 - 09:18 PM

MUCH faster in safe mode with networking.

and on the cpu, explorer was around 40, weather bug was 43, and super anti spyware was 30, but they all went down after about 10 seconds, and now most everything is 00, the task manager was 02, but everything else was low.

EDOT: Now, even when im not online (i have comcast, so im always connected, but when i dont have internet explorer or firefox open) i get those pop ups that say "are you sure you want to navigate away from this page. click yes to continue or cancel to stay" something along those lines. and its happened 3 times, one time i heard a ladys voice talking and absolutely nothing was opened. i restarted the computer and it stopped, but i dont know what it was talking.

Edited by Faded Picture, 13 December 2009 - 12:04 AM.

#4 Faded Picture

Faded Picture
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:17 PM

anyone know?

#5 Faded Picture

Faded Picture
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:17 PM

does anyone know what coud be happening? my computer has not been doing the pop ups, but its still slow.

#6 MATTSPCHELP

MATTSPCHELP

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:10 PM

ide run

malware bytes
spybot search and destroy
Ad aware
ccleaner