Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Infected by Malware- Internet Security 2010/Netsky?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 soriano

soriano

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 08:55 AM

Hello Everyone,

My laptop contracted the Internet Security 2010 virus and it won't delete. Before the laptop got infected, I had just opened up a browser, when all of a sudden, a bunch of windows started popping up and pretty much froze the computer. I don't think I clicked on any ads or whatnot, but I might have while trying to x out all the windows. After waiting for a good 10-20 mins to see if it would unfreeze, I decided to restart to unfreeze the computer. As the computer turned on, I don't remember for sure if everything was fully loaded or if the computer was still loading itself, the blue screen of death came on so I shut off the laptop. That was when all the problems started. Upon reboot, after the loading screen, a black screen appeared and a window popped up that said I had a worm.win32 netsky virus, or something along the lines of that. I tried using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, however, after I download and installed it, the program would not run. I even ran a couple Spybot and HouseCall virus scans. The first time HouseCall detected things and deleted it. Now every time I run HouseCall scan, it says that nothing is detected. As for Spybot, the first time I scanned, it detected lots of viruses, which I deleted. However, after I restarted the computer, the virus pop-up came back again after the loading screen.

As of right now, after I restarted the laptop, my desktop and start/task bar are not showing. The only thing that appears is the wallpaper along with the "my computer" folder. Through the "my computer" folder is the only way I can navigate around to use the Internet Explorer, etc. The task manager is also not working. A message appears and says that the task manager is infected by a virus and that I should run my anti-virus scan. I am using Windows Vista. I do not know the windows version because when I tried to check a message popped up saying the virus affected that too.

I have no idea and do not know what else to do! I would appreciated it so so so much if someone could help me. Much thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 10:10 AM

Have you tried logging in to safemode? To get in to safemode gently tap F8 as the computer reboots. When you see the menu, select safemode with networking.

Install, update and run Malwarebytes. You can get it HERE . Install, update and run it. If you have problems installing it then try renaming the file before saving it to your desktop. I like renaming it to bgmama. Get rid of what it finds.

Next install, update and run SUPERAntiSpyware. Get rid of what it finds. Finally update and run your antivirus program and get rid of anything that it finds.

Please post the logs in your response.
DJ Digital Gem

I gave up on computers and now I just DJ!

#3 soriano

soriano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2009 - 03:58 PM

Azfreetech,

When I restarted the laptop, it wouldn't shut down and was stuck at the "shut down" screen for a good 10 mins before I had to hold the power button down. Is that a sign the laptop really messed up? After i turned it on again, i went into safe mode with networking. Windows turned on, with the sign in screen and everything. However after i logged on, all i got was a black screen with "safe mode" the four corners and "Microsoft ® Windows ® (Build 6000)" at the top. There were no desktop icons, wallpaper, open folders or anything. Just a blank black screen. I even tried pressing the f2 button to see if the help window would open, and that didn't work. Task Manager is also still not showing up as a selection after i pressed "ctrl+alt+delete". I'm too scared to restart/turn off the laptop again, so i will just wait until your reply to do any further actions. Thank you so much replying and helping!

#4 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2009 - 04:12 PM

If you are still able to get to the internet here's something for you.... I usually try running Malwarebytes first. You can get it HERE . Install, update and run it. If you have problems installing it then try renaming the file before saving it. I like renaming it to bigmama. In your case, save it to a folder that you can access through "my computer". Do the same with the following as well.

Remove what MBAM finds and then install and run ATF Cleaner (for Windows XP and 2000 only!). Check the box for select all and then click the button Empty Selected. This will help clear out temp files, cookies and other junk that clutters up Windows.

Next install, update and run SUPERAntiSpyware. Get rid of what it finds. Finally update and run your antivirus program and get rid of anything that it finds.
DJ Digital Gem

#5 soriano

soriano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2009 - 04:20 PM

I am able to install and run the setup file for MBAM, but for some reason after it installs, when i open/click the program, it won't run whatsoever. the computer says it's installed and everything, it just won't run.

And also, the only way I would be able to use the computer at all is in normal mode, because safe mode gives the black screen (like what i described earlier). The only way i can "restart" the computer is by holding the actual power button til it shuts down, which i know is a bad way to turn off the computer.

#6 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2009 - 04:40 PM

Well you could be looking at a hardware issue but we want to try and rule out any infections first. Since you are having problems getting MBAM to run you may have something running which is running which is preventing you from being able to install/run security software. What I normally do is use Rkill to stop the rootkit processes that start when the computer comes on. Then I run the Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware. Here are some DL links for the Rkill....

LINK 1
LINK 2
LINK 3
LINK 4

Save it to your desktop and then double click to launch it (With Vista you need to right click and select run as administrator). You should see a little black window open and then close. If you see that box then it worked. If you don't see the black box then delete the file and use another download link and repeat the steps.

Once it runs you should be able to install, update and run Malwarebytes.
DJ Digital Gem

#7 soriano

soriano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:42 PM

I tried all 4 links, and every time i try to run it, the black window pops up and then an error message shows up saying "Warning: Application cannot be executed. The file is infected. Please activate your antivirus software." and then immediately after i exit that pop up, the Internet Security 2010 opens up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users