Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removed worm, but locked out of admnistrator functions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hdefined

hdefined

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:32 AM

I'm using Windows Vista and I am the only person who uses my computer (a Dell laptop). When starting up yesterday, my computer's fans started running on high, so I did a scan with AdAware and it found a worm and a few other files. It removed them, but now when I try to bring up task manager, it says that the administrator has disabled the function, and when I start up my computer, press F8 before windows logs on, and try to log on as the administrator from there, it says I no longer have access. I'm wondering if something else is still infecting my computer, or if something has been changed that I can't reverse.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 10:26 AM

I usually try running Malwarebytes first. You can get it HERE . Install, update and run it. If you have problems installing it then try renaming the file before saving it to your desktop. I like renaming it to bigmama.

Remove what MBAM finds and then install and run ATF Cleaner (for Windows XP and 2000 only!). Check the box for select all and then click the button Empty Selected. This will help clear out temp files, cookies and other junk that clutters up Windows.

Next install, update and run SUPERAntiSpyware. Get rid of what it finds. Finally update and run your antivirus program and get rid of anything that it finds.

If you have problems getting these installed and/or run then it will most likely be related to your admin issues. Let us knwo what happens and we will work forward from there. If you are able to run MBAM and SAS please post the logs in your next response.
DJ Digital Gem

I gave up on computers and now I just DJ!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users