Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

blue screen with numbered codes--please help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 melanie9

melanie9

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:04 PM

Hello,

My computer was working fine until about a day ago when I started getting a blue screen with a series of code numbers instead of windows logon screen. Now windows won't start, even in safe mode.

I read over the recommended steps to take when this happens, and none of them worked.

About my computer I have a "no name" brand computer bought from a reatiler who put it together for me. It's a dual core processor, windows xp professional and 2 gb ram and 320 gb hard drive.
thank you,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:21 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Do you have an XP CD?

Can you boot into safe mode?

Would you like to post the first set of numbers (e.g., 0x0000008E), so that we might try to hone in on what type of error you have?

Louis

#3 melanie9

melanie9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:11 AM

Hi, Yes I have the XP cd and the computer will start but only with the option of repair or new install. I followed the repair option but it did not actually give me that option once selected, it wanted to do a complete installation or reinstall.

Here is the code that come out when trying to start up.
0X0000007B

It will not come up in save mode either, a black screen comes up saying something like "I'm sorry windows encountered problems" and then I get several different start up[ choices, like debug, command prompt, but none of those works. Anything else I could try at this point? Thank you,

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:28 AM

You can read about 7B errors at http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm, left column.

I would try to run the chkdsk /r command on the C: partition...from the Recovery Console.

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

FWIW: If your system has a more advanced SP (e.g., SP3) than is reflected on the the CD used when trying to do a repair install of XP (using a MS Genuine XP CD)...it won't happen. The warning that you received re your options is typical of that scenario. If a user persists, the result will be a clean install and (I think) a backup of the current XP install.

That can be easily overcome by updating the XP CD, creating an install CD that reflects the most current SP or whatever it is that you have installed on the system.

Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

Louis

#5 melanie9

melanie9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:21 PM

'Thanks for the suggestions. However I can't get slipstreaming to work without an error. I get so far as the command line instructions and then after the files seem to be copied I get this error:

"This service pack cannot be integrated into a destination that also has integrated software updates..."

However, the instructions on the tutorial here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

It says that I will receive this message if I am using an OEM windows CD. But right after saying that I will get this error, it says "now that you are done slipstreaming." But I'm not done because it didn't complete and I got an error.

Please help. Thank you,

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:40 PM

The guide for slipstreaming...is written for Microsoft Genuine XP CDs.

What is referred to in the tutorial as an "OEM Windows CD"...I can only guess that what is meant is a CD supplied by Dell, Gateway, etc.

I have Microsoft OEM/System Builder CDs and I have no trouble at all slipstreaming using nLite, files taken from my CDs, and downloaded SPs.

Worth taking a look at...http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887412.

The question arises...what SP is reflected on the disk you are using for the XP install files?

What SP are you trying to slipstream into the original files?

Louis

#7 melanie9

melanie9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:53 PM

Thank you for the reply. I guess I am using an OEM disk because there is a folder on the XPCD named $OEM$ When I bought this computer, the guy installed win xp without charging me because I gave him the serial number of my copy of windows which came on my Dell, which I was replacing and was no longer using (true). He gave me a copy of the CD on a home made CD.

This must meansI can't do the slipstreaming, correct?

The version of windows on the original CD is SP1a, and I'm trying to slipstream sp3 into that. I have the SP3 update file on my hard drive and the "integrate" command seems to work until the end where the error pops up.

thank you

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:54 PM

I have to guess...that the fact that the files are from a Dell CD...is the problem, as far as your inability to slipstream a CD.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users