Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Get "Windows cannot find (null)" when opening Control Panel

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MrSly

MrSly

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 05:40 PM

Hi,

Whenever I try to open Control Panel (Start-Settings-Control panel) I get the message "Windows cannot find (null)". If I do a Start-Run-"control" it works fine. How can I check and possibly fix the shortcut to this program?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:02 PM

If it opens OK with the command, it's a corrupt shortcut.
Just delete it and make a new one
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 MrSly

MrSly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:15 PM

Hey garmanma,

Thanks for the response. How would I go about doing that? How do I change it in the Start-Settings menu?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:47 PM

Open Windows Explorer, scroll down to Control Panel,
click once on it to highlight, then from the Windows Explorer
Toolbar select: File > Control Panel > Create Shortcut.

or

Right-Click a blank space on the Desktop and select New => Shortcut. Enter
the following for the path:
%windir%\system32\control.exe

Edited by garmanma, 12 December 2009 - 07:47 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 MrSly

MrSly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 07:07 PM

What you said to do only seems to make a shortcut on my desktop. While interesting, not what I'm trying to accomplish. I'd really like to know how to be able to click on Start-Settings-Control Panel and have it actually go to the Control Panel instead of saying it can't find NULL. As I said, I can get to it from Start-Run, but the shortcut inside the start menu is incorrect and I'd like to replace it somehow.

#6 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 09:17 PM

from what i have read the first thing to check is scan for virus and malware.

if you go to the taskbar properties, click customize, advanced tab, there are options for control panel. i am wondering if you tell it not to display this item and apply the changes, then change it to "display as a link" and apply these changes would that repair the link ?

#7 MrSly

MrSly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:37 PM

Interesting idea. I did as you described, and found that Control Panel works with the "New" version of the Start Menu (any way I try it). The "Classic" version still doesn't work. But a good idea, nonetheless. :thumbsup:

Actually, I DID have several viruses running loose on my computer a couple of weeks ago, but I fixed them now. I believe this is a remnant of that infection. And since then I've scanned for viruses with my antivirus (ESET) and several online scanners and all is clean.

Edited by MrSly, 14 December 2009 - 03:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users