Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can i get a geforce 6600gt?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Piothepio

Piothepio

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 13 August 2005 - 10:01 PM

i have a 250 watt psu. i have an ap slot and i think i have a pci slot (how do i check?). thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 13 August 2005 - 10:15 PM

Well, you might possibly have to upgrade to a 300 watt power supply, but I don't know. I know my power supply is 250 but I guess the psu's on dell can go a little higher if needed and I have a 6800 gt, I don't know what the power requirement on a 6600 would be.

as for checking if it is a pci or agp, I can't think of any information things you can bring up to check off the top of my head. You could try opening up your computer and checking. If i'm correct in thinking, the agp slot would be above pci slots, it would look kind of like this.

______ _ - agp slot
______ - pci slot
______ -pci slot
______ - pci slot
______ - pci slot

That would be the slot order on my computer, I don't know what pci-e slots look like, so I hope this helps any. *edit* or really, lol, you could just check which card the monitor wire is plugged in to if you open it up. . .

edit- also, it might help out a little bit if you could mention what video card you currently have in.

-wizdabest

Edited by Wizdabest, 13 August 2005 - 10:24 PM.

#3 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 13 August 2005 - 11:09 PM

pci-e is different WAY different than the PCI slot.and you will need ATLEAST a 350 watt PSU to run a 6800.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#4 Piothepio

Piothepio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2005 - 09:36 AM

i currently have an nvidia geforce 4 mx440 agp 64 mb

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 14 August 2005 - 09:45 AM

You are going to need a bigger PSU, how much bigger depends on what else you got in your machine.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 Piothepio

Piothepio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2005 - 09:50 AM

whats the best card i can buy with my current psu

#7 Piothepio

Piothepio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2005 - 09:52 AM

what about this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814150089

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2005 - 09:59 AM

Maybe these will help you figure out your power requirements.

Power Supplies: How Much Power Do You Need?

Computer Power Supply Calculator.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#9 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2005 - 12:28 PM

my PC is draining more power than the PSU can provide... :thumbsup:

maybe thats why my computer runs so hot...

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#10 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2005 - 05:35 PM

ok the total watt usage is 266 watts in my comp, the PSU rating is 250 watts... is there a way that you guys can say something so that it'll convince my dad to get a bigger more powerful PSU?

- Rick Cook

#11 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2005 - 08:39 PM

ok the total watt usage is 266 watts in my comp, the PSU rating is 250 watts... is there a way that you guys can say something so that it'll convince my dad to get a bigger more powerful PSU?

Your computer will blow up?

But reallly, on my other computer wich is a stock dell, i have a 250 watt power source, with:

ati radeon 9800 pro
1 added fan to the case
a vga silencer attached to the 9800 pro

Now that, with a 250 watt psu.

Edited by TEB, 14 August 2005 - 08:41 PM.

#12 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:39 PM

I've seen a PSU at a local place for only $25, and it was a 400 watt.

But then again, you might have to worry about if it is compatable with your motherboard (which was the reason we didn't buy that $25 ps2, the thing we plugged into either the mobo or the psu came back with a 50/50 chance of the cables melting).

#13 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2005 - 12:23 AM

my PSU is a standard ATX :thumbsup: and the mobo is from Dell.

- Rick Cook

#14 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2005 - 10:39 AM

Some Dell's have a proprietary motherboard connection for the power supply as shown here. Before you buy something, take a look at your motherboard. If there are two connections then you will need the adapter or a Dell power supply.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#15 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2005 - 08:03 PM

i know what the mobo connectors look like, its a standard 20-pin ATX with the extra 4-pins for the 12dc

i checked, double-checkded, and triple checked (call me crazy) but it is for sure a 20pin ATX with the extra 4-pin for the 12dc.

Edited by legoman786, 15 August 2005 - 08:04 PM.

- Rick Cook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users