Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nasty About:Blank; Registry changes, maleware, ect

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jackknifed

Jackknifed

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 17 September 2004 - 02:39 PM

Thank you for your assistance.

Ok, From what I have read in tutorials and the analyzation of my own system, I seem to have a very nasty About:Blank, registry changes, CWS problems and more.

I definitely need some assistance with these problems. Please read further.

Activity up to date.

I have recently downloaded the free versions of spybot, ad-Aware and Giant Antispyware and successfully found some very severe threats; however, not all files that need attention have been cleaned up and every scan I do with either Ad-aware or spybot finds something new or of the same as before. Furthermore, I am still getting pop ups and my home page is still hijacked. The bandit is the About:Blank. This is causing a lot of frustration around the globe and has tagged me for game. I would like to get rid of it and any others that may cause harm, allows annoying pop ups, and defaults my home page.

Next, I need to update windows with service pack 2 and my IE6. I haven't done this for some time because I didn't plug into the net until recently; Question: Is it better to wait until I get rid of all the problematic bugs before I update windows and IE6 or is it safe to do update now?

Furthermore, my virus scan has been expired for some time now and funds are scare at this time;Question:can I overlook this problem if I am running the free versions of spybot, Ad-aware, the new windows service pack 2 update, and new update of IE6?

I also was reading a little on the getservice zip. I am still not sure if I need to do this or not. The purpose of getservice and how it actually fixes problems is a little unclear to me. If anyone can explain the application a little more before I'm directed to download it, it would give me a little more confidence when using it and posting the log.

I'm hoping to get these problems fixed soon to avoid a full system dump and reformat. If you think I may need to reformat please advise.

If anybody has the answers to my questions your help is greatly appreciated.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 1:34:16 PM, on 9/17/2004
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Support\Alert\bin\DAMon.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Lexmark\PHOTOC~1\LXBLKsk.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\devldr32.exe
C:\Program Files\Lexmark\Lexmark Photo Center\MemoryCardManager.exe
C:\Program Files\Infogrames\Atari Anniversary Edition\Volume 2\Atari icon.exe
C:\Program Files\Picasa\PicasaMediaDetector.exe
C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead Photo Explorer 8.0 SE\Monitor.exe
C:\Program Files\GIANT Company Software\GIANT AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnf.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ipid32.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\uninst.exe:yqltb
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe
C:\Program Files\GIANT Company Software\GIANT AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\Me\My Documents\Hijack\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\avdcc.dll/sp.html#29126
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=2851
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = sas.r4.attbi.com
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {63F760D6-E344-E7FE-D18E-69FEA6487937} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\addxr.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AHQInit] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\Program\AHQInit.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV Agent] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell|Alert] C:\Program Files\Dell\Support\Alert\bin\DAMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LXBLKsk] C:\PROGRA~1\Lexmark\PHOTOC~1\LXBLKsk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MemoryCardManager] C:\Program Files\Lexmark\Lexmark Photo Center\MemoryCardManager.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Atari Launcher 2] C:\Program Files\Infogrames\Atari Anniversary Edition\Volume 2\Atari icon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtariBanner] "C:\Program Files\Infogrames\Atari Anniversary Edition\Volume 2\Banner.exe" /0
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LifeScape Media Detector] C:\Program Files\Picasa\PicasaMediaDetector.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ulead AutoDetector] C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead Photo Explorer 8.0 SE\Monitor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] C:\Program Files\GIANT Company Software\GIANT AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasDtServ] gcasDtServ.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ipid32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ipid32.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpyKiller] C:\Program Files\SpyKiller\spykiller.exe /startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BestPopUpKiller] C:\Program Files\BestPopUpKiller\BestPopupKiller.exe /startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.lnk = ?
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyviewer.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52/200210...meInstaller.exe
O16 - DPF: {F58E1CEF-A068-4C15-BA5E-587CAF3EE8C6} (MSN Chat Control 4.5) - http://chat.msn.com/bin/msnchat45.cab

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Daisuke

Daisuke

Cleaner on Duty

• Members
  • 5,575 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2004 - 04:31 PM

Hi Jackknifed,

Your log shows that you are seriously behind on windows updates. It is essential that you update your Windows before we continue to help you as the infections could reoccur. Open Internet Explorer --> Tools menu --> Windows Update and if it asks to install software, let it. Then click on the "Express Install (Recommended): High Priority Updates for Your Computer" link and install everything that you can. When it prompts you to reboot, do so. Then repeat this process again until there are no more critical updates listed. Then post a new log.

Edited by cryo, 17 September 2004 - 04:33 PM.

Everyday is virus day. Do you know where your recovery CDs are ?
Did you create them yet ?

Posted Image

#3 Jackknifed

Jackknifed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2004 - 06:19 PM

Cryo,

Thank you for the advice. I am going to have to back up my files before hand which will take me a few days due to time constraints. I will do all the necessary steps needed including updating my virus scan and the post a fresh log.

Until then,

Peace.

Edited by Jackknifed, 17 September 2004 - 06:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users