Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows stay on top

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Campbell

Jeff Campbell

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:58 PM

Not sure if i can explain this right but we are experiencing this on more than one computer. These computers run windows xp pro sp2 and office 2k3. they both have dual monitors and probably have the same pci dual monitor cards.

What is happening is that they will have a window open (document, excel, email, etc.) and when they click on the taskbar on another item, the current window does not go away and stays on top (not selected though, grayed out/not focused). You have to minimize the current document to see the new one. if i make the current window smaller and click on the other document in the task bar i can see it pop up and get focus behind my current document. so its like the document is set to always be on top. Now it does not do this all the time but very often. sometimes everything works fine, other times it does this. doesnt matter what the window is, word, excel, outlook, windows explorer, IE, etc. just seems to be random when it does it but easily duplicated.

now i would just contribute this to a fluke with this machine but more than one user have the same issue.

any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:05 PM

Strange, It's supposed to be the other way round.

One actually needs a third-party software(like stay-on-top) to force a window to stay on top.

Only the Windows Task Manger, offers a direct "Always on Top" option to choose.

Just a thought, you can use Alt + Tab to switch between applications that are open.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 Jeff Campbell

Jeff Campbell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:05 AM

Strange, It's supposed to be the other way round.

One actually needs a third-party software(like stay-on-top) to force a window to stay on top.

Only the Windows Task Manger, offers a direct "Always on Top" option to choose.

Just a thought, you can use Alt + Tab to switch between applications that are open.

yeah the window actually looses focus but still stays on top. im pretty sure alt-tab will work the same but ill have her try it anyway. the new window is getting selected and like i said if the old window is not full screen you can see the new window popup in the background with focus/selected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users