Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop - Possible sound or graphics card issue

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 egotise

egotise

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:42 PM

Hello. I'm going to start from the beginning.

I was watching my usual shows on 4oD. [ 4 on demand, Uk TV program catch up website. ]
I was watching it in full screen when all of a sudden the image stopped, but the talking continued. I pressed escape and nothing happened, so I ctrl-alt-deleted it and still nothing happened, it was completely paused. So I left it and went off and did something else.

When I came back, it had gone out of full screen mode, and I clicked it off because it was moving a little slow. I didn't think much of this because my laptop has phases of running things slowly, so I decided to watch it later.

So I go onto Skype and a buddy of mine tries to invite me to a call, it loads EXTREMELY slowly, I can't press the accept button on the call, and the usual dialing tone thing on Skype is going really slow. [ It sounds like a tape player or CD player thats running out of batteries, stopping and starting. ]

I try and turn my computer off from Start > Shut down, though XP like normal, but it's running so slow that I loose my patience and cold reboot the laptop.

When I turn it back on again, it whirls up as usual, but the screen remains blank.

So I cold turn it off, unplug it for a little while, then plug it back in again and try again.

This time, really...really slowly, goes into the main start up screen, after a long black screen and a long load.

So I start up and the system is running a little slow, but it seems okay, until I play music, and it goesÖreally slow again, like the tape player.

When I load up you tube and play a music video, it runs only with a little lagÖI check the same song that I played and itís playing better.

But then I decided to turn my computer off, unplug it and use compressed air on the fans and such because I thought it may have been running slowly because it was dirty inside.

I turn it back on, again, black screen for a good five minutes until it goes into the start screen.

I test the music again, slow and dodgy, I try you tube, itís also slow, I wait a little while and it suddenly goes fine again, [ with a very slight maybe a half second pause. ]

Iím on skype right now and itís working fine, I can hear anyone.

Iím a little confused, it seems to be it struggles to play music and load up when it is first turned on, and once itís ďwarmed upĒ it works fine.

Can anyone help?

Iím going to run an antimalware scan too, just in case right now.

Update:

When running Skype it acts fine, but as soon as I run another program, for example the anti malware or firefox, I seem to get the same juttery lag as before. Everyone speaking on Skype go just like the music [ Like a tape or cd player running out of batteries. ] It seems whenever I lag, my sounds are affected.

Edited by egotise, 11 December 2009 - 04:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users