Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Pro won't let me login at Welcome Screen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nabes14

Nabes14

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:01 PM

I was infected with a virus last night which turned my background green saying my computer was infected. I did a total system scan with Norton and when I rebooted my machine, it would boot to the welcome screen "never did this before" and when I tried to login, it would say "loading personal settings" then show my desktop for a brief second, then log me out again to the welcome screen. I tried to start in safe mode, but I got a blue screen saying there was a virus. How can I get into the computer to fix the problem? The never ending welcome screen loop is not letting me proceed. Thanks

Edited by Nabes14, 11 December 2009 - 01:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:48 PM

Here's what you should try:

1. Download the Kaspersky Live CD
Kaspersky Live CD 2008

It's an ISO file that you can need to open using a CD Burning software and burn onto a CD.

2. Now, as soon as you turn on your PC, enter the BIOS setup and change the BOOT SEQUENCE to and make your CD drive the primary boot device (This makes sure the system reads from your drive before switching to your hard disk).

3. Now insert the live CD into the drive and restart your PC.

4. It should now run the Kaspersky anti-virus application off the disc. Simply use it to scan for viruses and delete them.

Once the cleaning process is over, head back to the BIOS setup and change the BOOT SEQUENCE to make the hard disk primary.

Restart your PC and you should be able to login to Windows !

Edited by ReviverSoft, 11 December 2009 - 01:49 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 Nabes14

Nabes14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:56 PM

If I reload windows, will that help?

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2009 - 04:53 PM

If I reload windows, will that help?

It sure will !
Although using a LiveCD to fix the problem, can save you the trouble of reinstalling your OS.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2009 - 05:28 PM

Just a note...a repair install of XP isn't necessarily of any benefit to users who have malware situations or have the system impaired by malware...while a clean install wipes the board clean.

When many users say that they intend to reinstall...often, they don't mean a clean install because they are concerned with saving their O/S and data files because they haven't backed up and they have access to recovery partitions/disks which have limited recoverability features.

Louis

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:35 PM

Just a note...a repair install of XP isn't necessarily of any benefit to users who have malware situations or have the system impaired by malware...while a clean install wipes the board clean.

When many users say that they intend to reinstall...often, they don't mean a clean install because they are concerned with saving their O/S and data files because they haven't backed up and they have access to recovery partitions/disks which have limited recoverability features.

Louis

Oh ok.
Thanks for pointing that out.

BTW, I did mean a clean install. :thumbsup:

Edited by ReviverSoft, 11 December 2009 - 07:08 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:40 PM

LOL, I knew that YOU meant a clean install...I'm not sure that the OP had such in mind.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users