Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did it all to my "confuser" but still it's slooooooooow!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ignorantmonkey

ignorantmonkey

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:27 AM

Well, hello to all on this forum that has proven to me to be the better help source when facing computer issues. I have this Dell Optiplex GX260 running Windows XP Professional, version 2002. It is a Intel Pentium 4, 120GB HD, 2.00GHz, 512 Ram, Service Pack 3. The machine was running good until one month ago, when it started to become super slow on all; not only on browsing internet, but on all its programs I use. I have used all the tuning steps: Defrag, cleandisk, checkdisk, full antivirus scan with AVG (Free), Installed and deleted Spybot Search & Destroy because the computer simply refused to run it' only after seven or eight tries it did open it but almost freezed the whole thing only to find 3 or 4 cookies. Then I used Stinger' it found 2 trojans it took care for; then I ran the latest updated from Super Anti Spyware, had it run and found a bunch of cookies and one trojan that disposed of; then out of desperation I downloaded HDD Health because of the eternal noisy HD, I suspected it had something about to explode within, only to see the program says the HD has an excellent health. I also downloaded and installed the free version of Advanced System Care to no improvement. Have run full AVG scans and still after weeks of trying to figure out why this thing is still super SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.....I just don't want to give up. Went to the Microsoft site, and they checked saying this its actualized, then my idea is to get the discs from Dell to reinstall Windows again....So hope any good hearted person could light my way on this journey I am determined to emerge victorious. Thanks. MB

Edited by ignorantmonkey, 11 December 2009 - 10:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:48 AM

FWIW:

Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/87058/slow-computerbrowser-check-here-first;-it-may-not-be-malware/

Slow Computer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

"Slow" is a very relative term on a system with 512MB of RAM. It's not that XP requires so much...as all the programs that installed which are constantly using RAM.

Louis

#3 ignorantmonkey

ignorantmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:46 PM

YES....I agree with what u say about the 512...but this thing was running normal....and about a month started to become noisy, and super slow...Thanks. MB

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:56 PM

IMO...systems usually become "noisy" whenever parts are loose or there is cause/opportunity for more vibration than normal.

Since everything inside a computer case...may be considered a key component...I think it behooves the owner/user to try to determine just what the actual origin of the noises might be.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users