Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video files freeze explorer

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Panta

Panta

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:00 AM

Hi guys,
I have an Acer notebook running Vista SP1 (can't upgrade to SP2 or Win 7, but that's a different problem I suppose).
Whenever I play a video file, I have problems with explorer. First the player freezes, after a random time which could be 2 or 30 minutes. I have the same problem with any player (I've tried Divx Player, VLC and of course Media Player) and any .avi or .mpg video (not with .wmv), so I don't think it's the codecs. I've downloaded a supposedly complete pack of them anyway, and nothing changed. After closing the player, I can't get it (or any other player) to play anything again; and I can't perform any operation involving the shell, like emptying the bin, renaming files etc. I can't restart the computer and I can only switch off by using the power button; any request to close the session ends up in the computer showing the "shutting down" screen indefinitely.
So, I can't basically play any video from start to finish and I'd need to switch off and on like 10 times if I decided to watch a whole movie. This is extremely annoying...
Any help please?
Cheers,
Fred

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users